DjangoBooks.com

Sept Song Of The Month--September Song

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Littleknicky, nice video of the Song Of The Month. That should be very helpful to anyone who wants to learn the head. Thanks for posting it.

littleknicky

My daughter's preschool lady teacher wanted September Song as their graduation song. So I offered to play and sing it for them, and attempt to teach it to kids (of course I knew it wasn't gonna happen). Well...then virus showed up...we/I still did it over Zoom.

Looking at the chords chart I'm noticing variations on bar 4. Gael, who's backing track is linked stays on G, inversion with B in bass. Another backing track from Clement Reboul, who's fantastic player, goes to Bm which I don't really hear. We in our band used to play half bar G/B then E9 and I thought that worked nicely. But as I'm looking at the melody, E-7 would make more sense. We'd also jump to G7 for a half a bar before it goes back to C9 at the top.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 50

to me the second half of bar two is C-minor maybe with Eb in the bass as written in some Fake Books, Eb7 is more of a "change" although i like it a lot. Its the Out Of Nowhere Change! I don' hear the Bm either in bar three or four but use it in the improv a lot since it is Cm going to Bm!

in bar four i like the bass going in quarter notes G G G/F# G/F which creates a nice counterpoint to the melody and goes nicely to A7/E in bar five (a is the melody note and could/should be missed in the bass) going to cm/Eb in bar 6. The chromatic counterpoint in bar 4 even would help the lyrics to sound a little bit more optimistic since it is a love song after all! Well, maybe just in the second or the last A.

G7 or G7 alt. for going back to the C9 is a great and obvious change für Improvisation but doesn't work to well with the melody note f# although it is just a short clash.

Buco

That flicker of clash between the melody and G7 would always cause a chuckle from our pro classical clarinetist.

Djangheureux
  • Since the classical GJ instrumentation doesn't give that much information there's a lot of freedom in the choice of notes, when the instruments are amplified or even electric i am much more careful or have to play clashing notes with more confidence or play them at least twice:-)

I would even say the haunting quality of the tune as MikeK called it is more prominent in the sparse GJ setting!

In the Django version i posted first it's unbelievable funny how Django plays these chromatic notes featuring the Ab over and over again although being in the key of G and the chord being C9...

surprisingly fresh and a little outside-i like that!

MikeKBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Hey Mike, here's my version

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesMikeK
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Must have been a special day!

Buco

hey Buco, am i hearing two lead-Guitars in your file? Great Idea, i like that!

Where is the bridge and the last A??? It took me some time to come up with something interesting in the bridge but i like Kurt Weill for being able to create something simple and complicated or dramatic at the same time!

Buco

Ah, thank you @Djangheureux that was me attempting a musical amusement of sorts by squeezing the happy birthday melody into the September song. Seems like Bill's heard my intention.

Alas, Mike doesn't spend his special day on on the forum like I did lol...

haha great idea- i should have recognized it as i knew you where quoting something...

well there are sometimes people who just don't get the punchline- like ME;-))

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams