DjangoBooks.com

Etienne JEANNE -debut album- Lost&Found (2021) "when Django meets Charlie"

Comments

• EtienneJEANNEEtienneJEANNE Shanghai, ChinaNew Anastasio 1988, Béranger Griot 2010, Di Mauro (Father) 1957

also notice in the stereo mix that I have mostly put the rhythm guitars on the sides, which leaves more space to the soloists in the center for the ears. gypsy jazz albums usually do the opposite.

billyshakesBuco

Great info and great tips. Thank you for sharing, I'll try that at home since I often get outside noise when recording. It's even more more impressive now that you said what you used to record. I basically have everything already except the iZotop software.

EtienneJEANNE
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

I used Izotope Ozone many years ago and it was fantastic back then. It can really make a difference in mastering. I'm in the midst of upgrading my DAW and this convinces me that it's a worthwhile investment.

Etienne, I listened to your CD on a pair of Adam A7 studio monitors and it sounded great!

EtienneJEANNE
  • EtienneJEANNEEtienneJEANNE Shanghai, ChinaNew Anastasio 1988, Béranger Griot 2010, Di Mauro (Father) 1957

Thank you Buco and nomadgtr !!!

Adam is a great brand ! I forgot to talk about the monitors actually, I use basic Yamaha HS5

Ozone 9 has amazing functionalities to get to the sound you have in mind, and the Tonal Balance Control tool has been very useful to determine the right amount of volume of the double bass. The problematic is that the more volume the bass has, the less defined guitar high-mids become. And I really wanted clear and bright high-mids for the rhythm guitars, so I had to put the bass volume a bit down. Now, you can't really hear a 1db or 1.5db difference with your ears only, but the tonal balance control tool can, and gives you a visual balance which, to me, at the end, makes a big difference when working on the mix.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/tonal-balance-control-2.html

Of course a great and expensive studio works in a different way, and could always get a better sound than what I did, but I am very happy of the result with the only means I had. People just can't notice it's a home recording.

Buconomadgtr

Hi guys, the full album is now available on youtube : https://youtu.be/2tT1x0AtbOc

Please leave a comment for the SEO if you liked it, takes one minute, means the whole world to me, and it's now free.

Cheers !

Etienne

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucowimbillyshakesAndyW
  • WOW!!!

Great tunes great playing great sound great artwork! Thank you very much for sharing it!

I will listen to the first tune with my first big cup of coffee in the morning to have a happy start into the day:-)

Cheers!

Sven

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Hey @EtienneJEANNE , just wanted to let you know that your album was the soundtrack to my morning admin tasks at work today. Such a lively way to begin a new week (and a new month!) Great playing!

EtienneJEANNE

thanks a lot @billyshakes

means a lot to me !!!

For those who use Spotify to listen to music, here's my personal gypsy jazz Spotify playlist : https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6mDZLsIsFHAhN6YcwwxdLL?si=9cbff3d791c94b12

All my favorite tunes, and my music, are listed on it !

Have a great week all~

Etienne

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesDjangheureux

For those who are interested, here's a video in which I have recently performed "All the things you are" on an ancient Chinese boat ;)

I hope you'll enjoy : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbD0YDvv-k&ab_channel=ETIENNEJEANNE

Comments on youtube more than welcome, nobody knows me in the states since I have been living in China for 15 years

Many thanks XXX

BucobillyshakesrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams

thanks a lot @billyshakes

means a lot to me !!!

For those who use Spotify to listen to music, here's my personal gypsy jazz Spotify playlist : https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6mDZLsIsFHAhN6YcwwxdLL?si=9cbff3d791c94b12

All my favorite tunes, and my music, are listed on it !

Have a great week all~

Etienne

BillDaCostaWilliams