DjangoBooks.com

Stereo mix

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭

@Willie so you like rhythm one side lead other side, fiddle off center the opposite side of lead? I think I am going to have to do some more listening on proper monitors when I get home. Rhythm Future's latest album is to me the gold standard for quartet, Gonzalo and Sebastián Ginaux to me have some of the best sound for their guitars, and Joscho has some pretty amazing recordings with all kinds of instruments- "Guitar Heroes" with the magic percussion he adds in some of the tracks I think is another gold standard.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

On this video of Rhythm Future https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1encCa5TU the mix is:

archtop - gipsy - bass - violin, this is making sense because you see the players arranged like this.

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭

Yes - their recordings evolved with each album - while I like their first two albums, their latest album "Friends" is really fantastic musically and sonically.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Posts: 872

Generally 9 and 3 in this situation and I’ll center the lead instruments. If I have 2 lead guitars I place them at 11 and 1pm but that’s just something I do to differentiate the players, certainly not a rule I’d always suggest, just an option. also in the cut below I have to consider the string section and I wanted an EZ listening sound. This makes it a bit more verby than a normal Gypsy Jazz session which will have more presence.

Here is more typical GJ mix, the other mixes people quoted are great too because...they sound good...:)

I love the width of John Jorgenson’s Franco American Swing and the rhythm guitars really help to give the recordings a full sound. Check some of that album on headphones!

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Here's an interesting stereo setup on Adrien's last CD:

Rhythm Guitar is hard left, Violin and Bass center and Adrien off slight right of center. I think he was double mic'd for this session too, ribbon and condenser which makes it a little more full I think.

Willie

Also check out these guys, really well recorded

You and the Night and the Music - YouTube

nomadgtrWillie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P
    edited June 2022 Posts: 64

Asking for advice: I recently purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface, Lewitt 140 Air pencil mic and record direclty into an ipadPro and Cubasis. I am playing in the bedroom with headphones and a backing track directly from Cubasis. So a pretty solid equipmentn I would say.

How can I make the lead guitar „thicker“ and more present ? It sounds kind of thin. The more I play with compressors and reverb the more „artificial“ it is sounding and I am looking for a natural live sound , not for a perfect studio recording.

Would sterorecording the leadguitar (with a stereo pair penicls) and panning it right and left, help ?

Are there any presets for Gypsy Jazz guitar for EQ, Compressor , Reverb,…. ?

Thanks

Klaus

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

First - are you recording flat, or using the highs boost? That can make a big difference on how thin the guitar sounds.

Second - for rhythm guitar, try micing near where the moustache meets the bridge about 6 inches away. For lead guitar, go 4-10 inches away from the guitar, pointed at the sound hole but off axis (mic is at an angle so you're not blowing air straight out of the sound hole into the mic).

Finally - are you mixing it with Bass? Having a bass in the mix will make your guitar sound fuller and warmer