DjangoBooks.com

Rodrigo Shopis - Baroette Review

Hi,

I don’t post often but I’m a long time lurker here. I recently had a guitar made by Rodrigo Shopis and I’m so happy with the result that I wanted to drop a review for Rodrigo and the guitar. This is my 2nd guitar made by Rodrigo. The first is a 2014 D'artagnan model S (Selmer style) that I still own.

This time around I decided to go with his Baroette model - based on the Di Mauro Special Chorus shape which has a wider 16 1/4” body (also similar to typical Busato body widths). After a few conversations, we decided to go with walnut back and sides and a spruce top. Rodrigo sourced some top quality wood and the result is really outstanding.

This is easily the most well balanced, nuanced, loud, and eye catching of all guitars I have owned. My initial comment when I first played the guitar was that it’s a “rhythm monster”...it has this room-shaking bark that just makes it a joy to play rhythm. The low end is big and cutting, mids are clear with a solid bark but without nasalness, and the highs are round and sparkly. Overall it has a BIG personality and a lush sound that really fills the room. I think Rodrigo has created something very special here. He is still active and making world class guitars. His email is rodrigoshopis@gmail.com

Some specs: 

• Model Baroette
  • top grade European spruce top 
  • 16 1/4” width
  • walnut back and sides
  • walnut neck with maple spline
  • light, vintage varnish throughout
  • extremely light weight

I’ve attached some pictures, including a side-by-side with my D’artagnan model S just for fun. The pictures don't do justice to how pretty the figured walnut and purfling on this guitar is.

JSantaBill Da Costa WilliamsbillyshakesCraigHensleydb5rudolfochristScoredogTomas

Comments