DjangoBooks.com

Lester Young on Selmer-style guitar

V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Welcome Posts: 325

Since we all have nothing but time these days, I've been getting back on the transcription train. Here's Lester Young's classic tenor solo on "Oh, Lady Be Good" on a selmer-style guitar. Kinda fun to interpret it with some Django-ish phrasing, which is an accent I will always have in my playing, but especially so on this guitar (Craig Bumgarner #21). Some tenor lines fit very nicely on guitar, and some defnitely do NOT and you can probably read my face to know which those are 😂.

Denis Chang has an excellent transcription of this solo on soundslice:

https://www.soundslice.com/slices/6gZcc

BillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitzlangsguitarpickgeese_comMarkAStringswingerLango-Djangorichter4208vanmalmsteenrudolfochristand 7 others.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Unexpected and wonderful!

V-dub, are you just into Lester Young, or other sax players as well?

Do you attempt to use Lester’s phrasing in your own soloing, or is this just a one-off transcription?

Your fan,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021 Posts: 325

I've always loved Prez, as most jazz people do. First time trying to transcribe him. As for trying to phrase like him, we'll see what sticks! I find it's that way with transcribing, if you can get 1-2 new things out of it that's a win but it really takes a lot of analyzing after the fact.

As for other sax players: I love Coleman Hawkins too. His 1939 solo on Body and Soul is legendary. Might have to tackle it next, but it's waaay more complex.

Buco

Killer. Really enjoyed that. We guitarist need to copy more horn solos.

• edited March 2021 Posts: 4,723

Really cool to hear a solo from one of the masters of the swing where the playing is actually fairly sparse.

It inspired me to start working on a Clifford Brown solo on Sandu. I learned the second chorus years ago. But it didn't do me much good because I didn't really understand what's going on behind these lines. Now I'll attempt the whole thing. The first chorus might be a possibility only at a lower tempo. He really lights it up during few phrases. But a lot nicely placed pentatonic lines.

PS by the way I kinda went off the tangent here in the second half, sorry about that. Your playing is really excellent, I enjoyed this a lot.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel