DjangoBooks.com

Struggling to stay interested in electric guitar! Any advice

Comments

• the stuff that ABBA did that I liked I still like today. Thats pretty much the way I feel about all the stuff I liked when I was younger

My thoughts about the technical side of things has changed and hopefully grown but my feelings about the artistry are still there
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Oh, I mentioned ABBA as some sort of joke. They're from Sweden (as I am). But they're not not very rock'n roll. Certainly not the peak of rock music, according to any scientific standards. They did write a couple of good tunes though.
  • They had a pretty huge audience for a while. Something clicked somewhere.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    I don't enjoy playing through an amp and that dry, barking GJ tone is second to none for playing acoustically. Consequently, I almost never play my two archtops and never play my MIM tele. Gypsy guitars just sound better.

Also, I think some folks who go back and forth a lot miss out on the benefits of really developing solid gypsy picking. I'm okay with folks playing other guitars provided they have gypsy picking down and are taking it to their archtops and electrics and not the other way around.

I've never had the sort of romance with an electric that folks here describe. Archtops are nice but they still don't come close to the feel of a petite bouche for me. Plus the pickguard gets in the way of the bridge height feel I'm used to.

• Didn't mean to step on ABBA fans' toes. Catchy but inane pop. I got the joke, @Matteo! I heard it on radio when it came out but would've never bought it!
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    MattHenry wrote: »
    I don't enjoy playing through an amp and that dry, barking GJ tone is second to none for playing acoustically. Consequently, I almost never play my two archtops and never play my MIM tele. Gypsy guitars just sound better.

Also, I think some folks who go back and forth a lot miss out on the benefits of really developing solid gypsy picking. I'm okay with folks playing other guitars provided they have gypsy picking down and are taking it to their archtops and electrics and not the other way around.

I've never had the sort of romance with an electric that folks here describe. Archtops are nice but they still don't come close to the feel of a petite bouche for me. Plus the pickguard gets in the way of the bridge height feel I'm used to.
    Yes I am inclined to agree. My one concern I guess is for variation, especially later on when I feel like playing more electric jazz, blues or just having 'fun' noodling on an electric with some nice hall reverb! Heaven forbid, but there might come a time where I want to have a week or 2 off Gypsy Jazz guitar and play other stuff that sounds fantastic on an archtop. However I think GJ requires a lot of initial practice and focus, and can be a demanding wife! However I have been given lots of inspiring electric players whose style wouldn't necessarily clash with GJ. For the time being I will keep a nice archtop and my Roland Cube (which is all I need for my small study, to keep my ERG petite bouche company!!
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 4,739
    The music will call out for you when the timing is right.
    I'd never sell my electrics even though I didn't pick them up in years aside from the few jams with old rock days buddies.
    I'm sure there will come time and to play them again.

I kinda wish I had a Tele instead of Strat though, they sound pretty awesome in jazz setting. There's a YouTube video with a guy playing both a nice archtop and a Tele, (audio only, the guitars are hidden) and both sound so jazzy that it's really hard to pick which is which.
    I'm still craving for a nice archtop myself, I use my Parker Fly which some players use in jazz setting but for it's not really doing it for me.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • It's all preference. I 'll never give up on guys like Frisell, Jim Campilongo, Nels Cline (of the somewhat modern-ish set). Sure, these guys might not sound that great on a GJ guitar, but there are other tones and techniques to be relished.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 3,707
    A strat can sound good in a jazz setting too. Be mindful of what pickups you use and the tone controls