DjangoBooks.com

Jazz Waltzes

ChristopherChristopher Upstate New YorkNew
edited February 2005 in Repertoire Posts: 4
All the contemporary gypsy jazz players play waltzes. Django wrote a few, including Montagne Ste Geneviève and Chez Jazquet. But I have been unable to find a recording by Django of these compositions? Does anyone know if Django recorded his waltz tunes and where these recordings may be found?

Comments

• ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    On "Tziganskaïa and other rare recordings" from Matelo Ferret is written
    "Including four previously unissued waltzes by Django Reinhardt"

This refers to : Montagne Sainte Geneviève, Gagoug, Chez Jacquet(à la petite chaumière) and Choti.

So i guess Django never recorded any of those
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Christopher, if you find them, let us know. :-)

Incidentally, Matelot's versions of "Gagoug" and "Choti" are unmetered rhapsodies. I've heard them recorded by Francis Alfred-Moerman (one of Sarane Ferret's protege's) in 3/4 with good results. Both approaches may reflect what Django might have been doing with them.

Also, there's some speculation that "Montagne" and "Chez Jacquet" are misnamed: the former is the latter, and the latter is really the former. I don't know how to fact-check this. Can anyone shed any more light?

Cheers,
    Ando
  • ramsezazramsezaz Paris, FranceNew
    I'll ask Serge Krief if he knows something about the swapping of names.
    He took lessons with Matelo during 6 years, maybe he's heard something about that.
    my lutherie blog : http://ramsezaz/blogspot.com
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Django never recorded those waltzes.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    I wonder, in this age of digital audio, if anyone has ever given serious thought to forging "The Lost Valses of Django Reinhardt." It might make a good crime novel (CD included!), if nothing else.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Ando wrote:
    there's some speculation that "Montagne" and "Chez Jacquet" are misnamed: the former is the latter, and the latter is really the former. I don't know how to fact-check this. Can anyone shed any more light?

Ando,
    Out of curiosity, where did you pick up on the speculation? I hadn't heard this before.

Best,
    Jack.
  • CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
    Or a movie...with Ralph Macchio as a young classical guitar student who's led on a wild goose chase across France by an old gypsy who claims to know one of Django's lost waltzes and finally ends up fighting for his immortal soul in a guitar duel with, say, Jimmy Rosenberg. :wink:
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I'm not sure how it would work, but Pat Morita should definitely make an appearance in that movie.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I dig the Gypsy Crossroads movie idea. What the hell else does Ralph Macchio got going these days?
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator