DjangoBooks.com

Excellent Lang biography, part two

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited November 2015 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,854
http://www.vjm.biz/168-eddie-lang-part-two-web.pdf

Through the magic of the internet I am able to attach the two recordings discussed in the article which Lang recorded in London in 1925.

While I fully agree with the author, Nick Dellow, that these are actual Lang recordings, I am open to dissenting opinions!

Two interesting things about these recordings:

1) According to the photographs in the article, Lang was at that time playing some kind of smaller guitar than the Gibson L-4 and L-5's which came to bear his signature sound.

2) Apparently the Brits were quite impressed by Lang's string bending, which they'd never heard before... so Eddie kind of goes overboard with the string bending on these recordings!

Will

PS Tomorrow we're off on a Caribbean jazz cruise which includes one of my heros, Bucky Pizzarelli.

Internet access on cruise ships is generally pretty iffy, so please pardon me if I drop out of sight for a couple of weeks!
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
rgrice

Comments

• JehuJehu New Zealand✭✭✭
    Thanks for these, Will -- I'll be reading them with interest!

(Not to put a damper on your cruise, but my understanding is that Bucky Pizzarelli has suffered a stroke and is currently in ICU...)
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited November 2019 Posts: 1,854

November 2019: I am currently visiting London and took the opportunity to visit an Eddie Lang shrine.

According to the Nick Dellow article linked at the top of this old thread, from mid-April to June, 1925, Lang’s novelty band, the Mound City Blues Blowers, had a gig at London’s prestigious Piccadilly Hotel.

It so happened that our present hotel is located not too far away from Piccadilly Street, so I took the opportunity to seek out the Piccadilly Hotel. Unfortunately, while there are still many prestigious old hotels on that street, none of them bore that name.

So I chose the grandest looking one on the street and after a few enquiries was able to find a knowledgeable source, the hotel’s concierge who has served there for over forty years.

He confirmed that the present-day hotel “Le Meridien” was opened in 1908 as the Piccadilly Hotel.

According to him, the hotel’s ownership has changed many times over the years, and the building has experienced multiple makeovers, but its ground floor “Oak Room” is a long-designated historical site and thus has been preserved in its original state. The concierge thought that this was the most likely place where musical concerts would have taken place.

Alas, there turned out to be a corporate event in the Oak Room at the time I was there, so I couldn’t get in there to breathe whatever remaining air molecules would have come from Eddie’s nostrils in 1925!

But the internet offers lots of photos of the Oak Room, so perhaps in the future, other pilgrims will be more fortunate than I was...

https://www.eventopedia.com/venue-finder/listing/oak-room-and-lounge-at-le-meridien-piccadilly#gallery-2018

Will

BucoMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamspickitjohn
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."