DjangoBooks.com

Help required with the challenging phrases

Comments

It is. Strange that it works like that but it does.
    Jazzaferri
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • @Buco how slow is slow?
  • For me it depends, but it's slow enough that my mind never loses the zone working out a fingering or a picking pattern

Sometimes for triplets to a chord shot it might be down around 40......most of the time if eighths, between 60 and 80. REALLY LAZY SLOW. If you can get the feel and the groove at that speed, no garbZge between notes ....always with a metronome or band in a box or iRealPro .....ALWAYS....something keeping accurate time that you have to LISTEN to.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Ok. That's pretty slow, but I've been trying it this week just for the heck of it with playalongs at about 35% speed in Transcribe. It is not easy.
  • Nope it's not, but it is really worth it.

You'll know you are at the right speed if your hands, wrists, arms AND brain feel totally relaxed, no stress, no thinking, able to hear, feel and see everything going on.
  • Don't forget, work on small bits, one phrase, get it totally grooved before the next....and at the end of working on that phrase try it a couple of times at speed. If you get it right at speed move on to the next hit....repeat....then try both together, first slow then at speed.
  • I've just learned Gonzalo's Coquette solo from Djangophonic last week and have been running it through this. In particular, there are three pretty ridiculous phrases, including that 16th note chromatic thing does at the end of the second A.
    @Buco how slow is slow?

What Jay said, 60 sometimes 40.
    When I'm just learning something new I'll do it half of what I'm trying to learn from, practice for a while and attempt it at full speed and go back and forth like. Once I know the piece I'll settle at what I'm comfortable with for my own performance attempting this target tempo occasionally.

For example like this.
    At less than a quarter of it's original speed it's not easy.
    180bpm not easy, 90bpm easy, 40bpm not easy again.
    Don't fall asleep as you watch it...
  • That makes sense and thank you for sharing. When do you feel it is appropriate to move up in tempo? I'm guessing that you learn the piece and then you put it through this cycle where you are slow practicing and moving then to half speed, then to full speed? Are you automatically going to full speed?