DjangoBooks.com

Out of Print?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Sorry about that; they all came to me labelled Tchan-Tchou...Barengero, I'm not sure how the discs break down, I don't think they were separated on the disc I recieved, but I'll check when I get home tonight.

Nick, do you have any info about the Matelot/Moerman tracks?

Best,
    Jack.
  • QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
    Whats the best way to download/decode the files
    thru Windows? thanks--Joe.
  • lgrosslgross york paNew
    I have a few things to upload but can't get on the site,any suggestions? I'm sure I have the password correct.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Sorry if this is confusing. My hosting provider has rather inconsistent rules on usernames.

For ftp (to upload or download -- you'll need an ftp client):
    site: ftp.sugarinthegourd.com
    username: [email protected]
    password: bricktop

for http web access (download only):
    site:http://gypsyjazz.sugarinthegourd.com/
    username: gjshare
    password: bricktop

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any problems...

John
    For those of you that want to upload but aren't familiar with using ftp clients, FileZilla is a really intuitive one. You simply drag and drop folders from the left hand column (your drive) to the right (the ftp site) to upload; the reverse for downloading. Info here:
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

Best,
    Jack.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Henri Crolla's Notre Ami Django is also commercially available, for example here:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 32-1146019

If you're unsure I think it would be a good idea to post here first and ask.

Also, those who have received rare files from others such as Scot and Ted should check with their benefactors before posting any of those files. There are still lots of collectors out there who are hoarding rare things, and if you were to make something VERY rare available here, it could limit the ability of nice people like Scot and Ted to acquire other things through barter, which they may eventually be able to share with us. To my knowledge, nothing of this nature has yet been posted, but be careful :)
    I'm with Nick; I think it's best to check with your sources about the rarer things...I know for certain that not all collectors are keen to see their hard-won finds posted for the world to download. And truth be told, I've always found searching for those sorts of things half the fun. When I first suggested this ftp idea, what I had in mind were the more 'common' rare recordings, if that makes sense-lots of live stuff, festival recordings, and things like the Tchan-Tchou discs...stuff that's not one in a million, but that's still difficult for many people to find. And OF COURSE, nothing available commercially...I don't think we can stress that enough, and I hope people will stay on top of deleting things that shouldn't be there.

With all that said: I think so far this is going wonderfully! Thanks to everyone for making it a go...

Best,
    Jack.
    When I first suggested this ftp idea, what I had in mind were the more 'common' rare recordings, if that makes sense-lots of live stuff, festival recordings, and things like the Tchan-Tchou discs...stuff that's not one in a million, but that's still difficult for many people to find.

That was my thought too. I would especially like to get all the OOP Waso & Fapy LPs.

If you're going to upload the really rare stuff, by all means, please check with your source before uploading! Have them check with their source if they didn't find the recordings. Make sure the original person who broke his back to find the recording doesn't mind.

If you are the source and you'd rather not see this stuff get into instant wide distribution please let me know -- I will take the material in question down, won't redistribute it & will keep our conversation private & confidential.

Please read Nick & Ted's posts if you haven't done so & think about what they are saying. The rare stuff that is showing up here likely made it into US collectors' hands as a result of a very few people's very hard work.

And when you do upload stuff that comes from a collector whose permission you have, try to take the time to credit the source in a text file inside the folder.

I also hope this works out -- but if it seems to be creating problems for anyone I'll have to take it down or limit to OOP but not ultra-rare LPs & live recordings.

thanks,

John

P.S. Let's try to keep this accurate too. I haven't listened to the 86 "Tchan Tchou" recordings but if they're really Matelot Ferret and Francis-Alfred Moerman can someone please fix? The more copies that are distributed this way, the more confusion this will cause future jazz manouche historians!
  • Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Hi everyone--

I just found this thread, it's amazng to see what I've been missing. I tried downloading the 30's-40's rare jazz files, but they are in a format I am not familiar with. Is it possible to play these files on a mac? I have some files that should be of some interest. I guess I can upload them in mp3 format? I have the remainder of the George Barnes Keynote sessions, mnus the two songs found on Hittin' on All Six. I have a session with Arvin Garrison as leader that includes the amazing Tonsillectomy. I have the Bernard Addison/Pete Brown sessions from the 60's. I have the Electric Sessions on Capitol of Carl Kress and Tony Mottola. And I have the 14 sides recorded by the Dick McDonough/Carl Kress Big Band that were never released on CD. Maybe someone can verify for me that these aren't available (Ted?) Also, I noticed a few of the sides on the 30's-40's rare jazz folder are available. The Frank Victor guitar improvisation is aon the Joe Venuti CD Pretty Trix on IAJRC. The George Smith sides are on Guitar Rarities Volume One on IAJRC. The George Van Eps sides are on the jump reissue of the Van Eps, Miller, and Wrightsman trio. Any help with reading these files would be great.

Thanks--
    We've already used up about half of the space I can allocate to this project. I'm keeping an eye on the bandwidth to make sure that doesn't exceed my limits. So far we appear to be OK there. But for the timebeing, I'd prefer we stick to "jazz manouche"/swing musette recordings rather than jazz guitar in general.

thanks,

John