DjangoBooks.com

When/How did you decide to spend the Big Bucks for that special guitar?

Comments

• Happy for you. I am sure you will find MH's insights to be true.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,740
    Ahhh so exciting! Looks and sounds like a great instrument.
    Another video with presumably the same guitar,

I always found Michael to be pretty unbiased, I can't even call him a salesman, more like a consultant.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Congratulations may it be a truly inspiring Guitar for you.
    Enjoy
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    I was on holiday, and at Michael's place checking out some cheaper guitars, as I was thinking of buying one as a backup. I was playing all sorts of things, when he asked if I wanted to try a Favino, to see what it was like. I was looking for something that sounded like that Tchavolo clip from Swing where he's playing solo in the cafe (which I think was an Anastasio, but I was unconvinced by the ones I'd played). Anyway, Michael bought out the guitar I now own, and I couldn't put it down, and blew out my budget quite a bit :)

No other neck I've played feels quite like it, and it seems to bounce your pick back up off the strings. Michael was great - the best - and very helpful and patient. Here it is today, half a world away, a couple of years and several hundred gigs later (I think it's just about paid for itself now, although I realise that's not quite how it works...):

BucoMichaelHorowitzpickitjohnJSanta
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Jon great story and playing, I've wanted to get to Michael's since I found this site. Hopefully someday soon.
    BTW I loved the Tony Gatlif Movies "Swing" and "Latcho Drom" both were Great.
    Talk about "Big Bucks for that Special Guitar" I'd love to get my hands on the Guitars from these clips.

Tchavolo & Dorado Schmitt "Kali Sara" & "Tchavolo swing" - Latcho drom

:peace:
  • Congrats! Looks like a beautiful guitar! You're gonna love it and improve so much.
  • jwpfeiferjwpfeifer Phoenix, Arizona✭✭ Dupont Nomade
    I agree with others in this thread that it's a good idea to buy the best guitar you can afford rather than settling for a cheaper model. I've made that mistake too many times over the years. The guitars and amps that I've held onto over time, were the ones that I spent a little more money on to get the quality I needed. The buyer's remorse wears off eventually and you're always proud to open the case and play those guitars with the better tone and play-ability, while the cheaper instruments are the ones you wish you could sell in a year or two. I just bought my first GJ guitar and looking forward to digging into this music. I took the advice of some other folks on the forum and got a better guitar than I'd first planned to, but I think it was a good decision.
    BucoMichaelHorowitzrgrice
  • Good deal @jwpfeifer! I think those Nomades are about as good as you can get for the money and for being an actual handmade French guitar! I should've done that instead of having to upgrade. Now I'm stuck with a Gitane, which is OK as a backup, but I never play it and it'll never really be worth much more than i got it for.
  • But @rgrice you do have a guitar you can play around a campfire
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • That's true @Jazzaferri! I do take it as a backup on gigs also just in case. It actually sounds ok and plays pretty decently. Which is your campfire guitar, the Dunn or the Dupont? Lol!