DjangoBooks.com

My Progress in Jazz Manouche

Comments

• AmundLauritzenAmundLauritzen ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you, Bones! By the way, I notice you are a moderator. Do you have privileges to change thread titles? I would like the name of the thread changed to "My progress in jazz manouche" Since the thread no longer is just about "My Blue Heaven" but I started using it as a progress journal.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Done!
    jazzygtr
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Just seeing this thread for the first time. I watched all the videos, great playing! :)
    Is it really just 3 years for you? This level of playing looks more like 10 years work!!
    Do you only learn stochelo's solos, or have you learned a few django solos too?
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    Just seeing this thread for the first time. I watched all the videos, great playing! :)
    Is it really just 3 years for you? This level of playing looks more like 10 years work!!
    Do you only learn stochelo's solos, or have you learned a few django solos too?
    I actually think three years is do-able. The combo of "Rosenberg Academy" + a minimum of 3 hours a day practicing can produce this. I reached more or less the same level as Amund by transcribing all those academy solos (and practicing them at the same time, can't help myself). The disadvantage is obvious: I also sound more or less the same but we can try to take our own path starting now ;)
    I was asked in a PM: "I wonder if you can talk a little bit about how you developed speed and fluidity with your right hand picking."

So I recorded a quick video discussing the right hand technique. This is also intended to get feedback from others on my approach, so I can hear how others approach it, what we agree on and what we disagree on.
    I don't consider myself an expert on this, and I can only share my observations on what has worked for me so far. Some of this might, or might not work depending on the player. Everybody are different.

I'll be happy to hear thoughts about this, be it agreement or disagreement. And I hope it can help out those who are getting into this style:

lukejazz
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,319
    Hi Amund. That was a great vid. Thanks.

Can you think of an example where the picking pattern changes for the same (or similar) arp/position between fast and slow?

PS- what camera/mic do you use to make your vids. The video/audio quality is nicer than the one on my computer.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Hi, Amund.

Thanks for answering my PM with this thorough video and explanation. It seems that many of the old guard are reluctant to go into specifics about the development of their technique other to say "practice, practice, practice." Perhaps they have forgotten the struggles they overcame on the way to their mastery of the instrument. The advantage we have with you is that you worked so hard and in so concentrated a manner that, perhaps, some of those obstacles and the steps you took to move past them are still fresh in your mind.

To that end, I think I'm on the same page with Bones, here, about asking for your take on talking about picking patterns that you began as playing slowly and were able to speed up and make fluid. I get a lot from your description with the word "bounce," for example, to explain the strike and recovery from the string. Concepts like that and "playing relaxed" are sometimes difficult to internalize, but it often comes as a revelation just during the course of a simple casual conversation.

So, I for one, look forward to anything you want to say and post about this subject. You are far too modest regarding you accomplishments, and you should not worry that anyone will be anything but grateful to hear what you have to say. Your command of English is fantastic and you are a natural teacher.

Thanks again.
    wim
    Thank you both! I am not used to talk on camera. I had to try to do one complete unedited take because I kept messing up the explanations, and to edit that would make a jumbled mess. I'm going to continue with a second part and address a few things like anchoring vs. not anchoring, the actual wrist movement etc... I'll try to also address the points you brought up in regards to how tempo influences picking patterns. But I can say this, that when I play it's never a conscious thing reagarding picking patterns. I've learned every single solo on the RA, so it's all automatic after hours upon hours of repetition. I started when it opened and made it my goal to learn every song every single month. The fact that I've learned all of them doesn't mean that I can play all of them at full tempo. Far from it! I use the program "Transcribe" to slow down audio while retaining the pitch, and this allows me to slow down in increments of percents, or even smaller. Some of the very demanding songs, I never learned to play faster than about 70% Others I can play at 100%.

Anyway, I don't know how much is ethical to elaborate on Stochelos technique befores this borders on giving away secrets from the RA, so I'll stop there, and keep to addressing more stylistically neutral aspects in the follow up video, which I'll get to recording as soon as I can.
    jazzygtr
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I too have subscribed to the Rosenberg Academy. I got a chance to go through all the material myself. Stochelo does not speak very much about technique. Christian suggested that Stochelo might be doing a more elaborate technique video in the near future. Until then, I and I think everyone here is probably more interested in how you personally dealt with technical issues and overcame them.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    Anyway, I don't know how much is ethical to elaborate on Stochelos technique befores this borders on giving away secrets from the RA
    Amund, thank you for your consideration but don't worry about it at all man. Secrets schmecrets, we're all in it together. Maybe I'll shoot a video myself and discuss some things. But if you want to discuss things you picked up at RA go right ahead!

pickitjohnjazzygtr