DjangoBooks.com

Plectrums for jazz

Comments

• louismanouchelouismanouche England JWC
    I really like the Guzz s3, used on the most rounded side. They're about ten euros each, white, and fairly substantial. I haven't lost one yet and I find that they last for three or four months before they get worn down to the extent that I start to catch my fingernails on the strings (this, I freely admit, may be a result of technical deficiency on my part). I hope that this is a useful contribution to the discussion.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 4,738
    I heard good things about those Guzz picks too.

I swore I was done with picks but curiosity took over and I ordered Dunlop Gators and Ultex in 1.5 and 2mm.
    I do want to have a cheap pick that I can carry around in my pocket all the time without sweating over loosing it but I wish they sold it in smaller packages.
    I mean they're cheap enough but what do I do with piles of picks in my drawer.

If someone knows of a charity, like "picks for youth" or something let me know.
    Actually if someone wants to try one of these, let me know and send me a self addressed and stamped envelope and I'll send it to you.
    Oh and I have some Dunlop Primetone that I know I'll never use so same offer stands.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 3,707
    Buco if you find a charity I have about 30 old picks that need a home.

The SR 60 looks pretty cool....imagine it sounds great....wish they had them when I was buying
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • MackyMacky
    i'm wondering if you guys think these look legit and if anyone has had any experience with buffalo bone..?

http://www.timber-tones.com/bone-tones-black-horn-single-plectrum-94-p.asp
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    For rhythm players, I highly recommend the Dunlop Primetone Round 5mm. They come in packs of 3 for about $9. I use the bottom end and cut about 10mm off the tip to reduce the mass. And I put a slight angle on the cut to help keep the pick in place. That gives me the personal sound I want: it is full and rich and comfortable feel between the thumb and forefinger.

And just because one is a rhythm player, doesn't mean one can't do rhythm styled leads either. Some of my favorite leads I've heard are when full or diminished chords are played in substitution of single note picking. Django was great at this, among many other players. It helps to break things up a bit. So at the next jam, rhythm players can shine solo too and change things up some.
    I received 2mm gators and 1.4mm ultex, still waitin on 2mm ultex.
    I didn't know gators are chameleons, like literally; they come in a bag as light gray and in a few days become black. What's with this?

The 2mm gator is a fine pick generally speaking.
    For me though it makes by guitar sound too bright with pointy end. Sounds less bright with a side tip but that way I feel I don't have enough holding surface.
    They have a nice grip to them, almost like a very fine sand paper but that's a downside to; it has a very slight grating sound on high strings.

Ultex has a much better potential to be my spare pick that I can afford to loose.
    I like the feel of it, decent grip, not too slick and becomes stickier after playing with it for a while.
    Pointy tip too bright again, even more so then gators. Great clarity though.
    On this pick I like the rounded side end a lot. I tried rounding out the main tip with a nail file and I shaved down a good amount, very close to side tip but it still sounds close to the pointy tip. That could be that the edges are still too sharp and I'd need some buffing wheel to dull them or just use it to play with it.
    However this pick is too thin at 1.4mm or it feels that way to me. I gave up on 3mm+ picks but for some reason Bluechip SR60 feels much more substantial and it's only 0.2mm difference between the two. It felt so different that I used a micrometer to check both and they're both as advertized thickness.
    So I'm guessing 2mm ultex will feel just right.

I mean both of these are good picks and could be a good tool for a guitar with pronounced bass and you wanted more highs to come out. Hell they are good picks period.

However in my case I have a bag of each looking for a good home. Like I said earlier, self-addressed stamped envelope will get you one...or a few...let me know.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    +1 for Dunlop 207 (I use them for archtops and electric). Not quite as plastic sounding as the Gators can be for me. Yet to find anything as hardy or "big" sounding as Wegen 3.5mm for gypsy stuff.
  • As far as hardy goes...you have yet to try a Blue Chip.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • lostjohnlostjohn Charleston, WV✭✭ Altamira M01
    Has anyone tried the John Pearse Django Button? Based on the lore that Django sometimes used a trouser button as a pick, I went through my wife's sewing box and found a nice, smooth, 30mm diameter button to try. I loved the feel, but the volume was a little muted. I ordered a couple of the Pearse Django Buttons from Michael and, a bit to my surprise, I'm liking it quite a bit. I wish thet were slightly larger (they're about 25mm dia.), but I like the feel and tone.
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    I've been using Tone Bone picks for a while. I use the Buffalo bone, (white). I can get them locally and they're about 2.5mm thick, $20 for four.

I use different picks for diffrent things. Mainly HiFi Fiberglass for bright rhythm, 2mm Tortex, but mostly white bone picks. The black horn picks are great whem playing plugged in.
    HCQ