DjangoBooks.com

Happy Birthday Django!!!

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
in Welcome Posts: 2,159

Someone usually posts something so why not me?

Here s my little tribute to the master

it s also Grappelli s bday on the 26th!

BucoJosechikyMichaelHorowitzrichter4208jonpowlgeese_commac63000billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesand 2 others.

Comments

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Fascinating insights Dennis!!! Well done and much fun to listen to.

I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!

I'm holding a toast to Django as I write. Really nice video Dennis.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JojoJojo London UK

Excellent, Dennis. Looking forward to the videos on Django's playing re fingers/disability/otherbility

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

thx! i ll try to do it within the next two weeks

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I just looked in the dictionary under the definition of polymath and there was a photo of Dennis.

I really appreciated you explaining your journey and the way you grew and developed. It is the result of a lot of hard work but also just a natural inquisitiveness (shown by your efforts to learn Japanese). You weren't content to just mimic...you are taking the information, internalizing it, assimilating it, and then creating from it your own lexicon. That is the highest level of knowledge.

rudolfochrist
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited January 2020 Posts: 1,854

Dennis, I'm a day late and a dollar short, but thanks for this!!!!!

Your reverence for the Master is inspirational, and your musical advice is insightful, as always.

And that new AT guitar of yours... wowser! Watch out, Mr. Holo, there's a new kid on the block!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • swiesslerswiessler NorCalNew Dupont MD20,Gibson L5,Bumgarner F hole(DiMauro type)

Denis, Thank you for elucidating your really great philosophy for learners. It is both encouraging and sobering to

see music and language as parallels. Not an uncommon description, but an uncommon explanation. As someone who

learned a language later in life, and am now trying to learn this music a bit later still, it is a welcome perspective on the

process of learning and a reminder that the journey is it's own reward!!

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Thanks! I think the improv and language analogy is a big one for me. However, there are different styles of improvisation out there, and i don’t claim to see the one I like is the best one. Different strokes for different folks! But I definitely wanted to highlight that in order to understand the language of music, I had to spend so many years listening carefully but also just playing stupid licks that weren’t creative... I just wasn’t a natural like some others are. Some people are already born with the inate ability to hear and absorb : Bireli Lagrene and Rocky Gresset come to mind. Having worked with them and really pick their brain, it’s really fascinating to see such natural talent... I m pretty sure Django and Mozart were that way too. Possibly Kanye West too!

BillDaCostaWilliams