DjangoBooks.com

Cleaning Compact 60 grill?

therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault
in Welcome Posts: 47

Last night a beer got spilled on my AER Compact 60 and the foam grill took a pretty good hit. Anyone every dealt with this before? I emailed AER, haveen’t heard back yet, though it’s probably night over there.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

How is the cleaning effort going? Does your amp still smell like beer?

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault

I never heard back from AER ☹️ but I learned some things about the amp because I took it totally apart to clean it. The section that houses the electronics is completely separate from the speaker cabinet, and unless I missed something the speaker is put in before the cabinet is glued together, which means that if you blow a speaker (or soak the cone) your’re screwed. I imagine AER has a high pass filter around 120hz built into the amp (along with some limiting) to protect the speaker. I used this amp with a uke bass once, it was totally lacking in low end. As a comparison, my Loudbox mini is a great amp for the uke bass.

Luckily I think that the speaker itself did not take any beer, and I was able to clean the amp thoroughly. The foam seems to be glued on, no way to remove it but I got towels on it immediately after the spill, and now 99% of the smell is gone. With my nose actually touching the grill I can still detect a trace in one spot but I think this will face over time, and it’s NOTHING compared to how all my gear used to smell back in the days of smoking in bars.

mac63000
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

I spilled a glass of wine on a gig and some hit the front of my AER Compact 60. I did have to remove the foam to wash it (which solved my issue, as luck would have it, no wine hit the speaker). The foam is glued to a metal grill and had to be reglued to the metal grill after washing. It was not a big deal, but these amps have little support in the USA and may present repair difficulties.

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • therealguyfitherealguyfi Milwaukee, WINew Barault

Stringswinger, so removing the foam didn’t damage it? Whaat glue did you use to reattach it?

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Crazy glue

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

I would just leave the beer on - it contributes to the patina of well-used equipment. You might even add some beer bottle rings and cigarette burns along the edge of the top for extra effect.