DjangoBooks.com

DPA goose-neck mic

I have a DPA mic. At a recent gig I had trouble getting enough volume in the range of the higher notes of the first string. Since the DPA mic is aimed somewhere around the fretboard extension over the body, and/or over the soundhole itself, how can it pick up the vibrations from the top of the guitar itself?

Seems to me that much of the high-end must come directly from the spruce top, not just "air modes" from within the guitar. Regular mics placed one to three feet from the guitar can, of course, have "access" to the vibrations from the top of the guitar.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

In the pro audio world it's generally agreed that placing the mic around the 12th fret is ideal which is surely why DPA designed their mounting system to do so. You get a better balance that way. Placing the mic right in front of the soundhole, especially very closely, will result in too much bass (i.e. proximity effect) and results in lots of feedback.

More here: