DjangoBooks.com

TV Commercial for "The Farmer's Dog"

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 705

Has anybody seen the TV commercial for the Farmer's Dog? The music is quite interesting with very well done rhythm guitar, and a Django ending. It certainly sounds like New Orleans musicians to me, Molly R. and Russel W. come to mind, but since they may be located in New York City, it could be any number of good players. Does anybody happen to know who is playing?

Comments

• tbleentbleen Astoria QueensNew Gaffiero

I work in TV and advertising, and for sourcing music we use various libraries that we have license agreements to use for commercial/tv. (APM, Chappell, FirstCom, etc).

I think I found the spot here: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oyI3/the-farmers-dog-personalized-portions

It was most likely pulled from one of these libraries. I went into our library here at my office to see if I could match it, I couldn't, but I found Angelo Debarre with an album on there credited as a composer under the APM label.

Songs include generic titles like "Happy Gipsy" "Guitar Musette" "Swing Manouche" "Picnic Swing"

I don't recognize any of them, but one is definitely "Swing Chez Toto" retitled. Description is "fast rhythm ideal for campy comedy chase scene" 😂

I Youtubed the titles and found this Angelo Debarre track from that library used in a videogame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjSJQ5ib0wU. The commenter on YouTube says it sounds like Spongebob, so there you go. Maybe Spongebob is sourcing Debarre tracks.

There is a whole world of commercial gypsy jazz composers out there. This one is heavily featured in our library https://www.discogs.com/Jez-Poole-Ray-Flowers-Gypsy-Jazz/release/8136117. These two seem to make everything from gypsy jazz, to heavy funk, to runway club beats. I wonder how deep they really get into the genre to try to sound "authentic". I feel like if your focus is making as many genres of music as possible for commercial success, you're going to miss a lot in the music.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamstheholyrollers
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

I have this CD of Angelo under the name Gypsy Swing de Paris but I didnt know it was for licensing purposes. I thought it was for some educational books or things like this. There is Max Robin, Marc Durst, Antonio Licusati, Florin Nicolescu too on this CD. But it is true that apparently randomly the compositions (known under other names now) have pretty random names.

bopster
  • Arturo AzcarragaArturo Azcarraga Lawrenceville, GA USANew

Tune in the Farmer's Dog commercial sounds like the theme to "I, Spy"...

• BonesBones Moderator

Maybe Scoredog did it :-)

Buco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I do a lot of these for Warner Chappell, but this one is not mine, this does not sound like Angelo to me.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Well ......

I requested info about the jingle from the company and here’s the response:

”Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for reaching out! The music we used is a django-style guitar piece that we licensed for the video.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this, or anything else.

All the best,

Sam

The Farmer's Dog | Support”

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Not surprised the user did not know the player, that is normal when library music is sourced for TV or commercials, the players usually remain anonymous even to the customer.   By the way, you can add John Etheridge to the names of players who record this 'music for hire', not saying it is him either but he does a good Django too.

• CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy

Jingle Punks, Extreme Music, and Megatrax are three of the bigger stock music companies. You should be able to go to their websites, search their libraries for "gypsy jazz" or "gypsy swing," and preview the tracks. They should list the composer and will sometimes list the musicians as well.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Going through the massive amount of tracks on library sites can be daunting. Many libraries have released their cuts on YouTube or Apple Music etc. you might try an app like Shazam first while listening to the ad and see if it recognizes it. There is a chance it will come up.