DjangoBooks.com

Dylan Influenced....

Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
in Welcome Posts: 155

Just watching Bob Dylan Rollin Thunder Revue Documentary on Netflix and up pops Dorado and Tchavolo! I thought I was seeing things or it was an online glitch then up they popped again, it was a clip from Gatlif’s ‘Swing’. Dylan then proceeds to explain how he was in France at the same time as Gypsy's Pilgrimage in Les Saintes Maries de la Mer. It was his birthday and he says he stayed up until dawn watching Manitas de Plata until dawn. A few weeks later the song ‘One more cup of coffee’ came to him in a dream. Explains the violin anyway.

Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
MichaelHorowitzBuco

Comments

• stuologystuology New

I read once that Slash was booked to play a session with Dylan and was dumbfounded when Dylan told him he wanted Slash to play like Django

MichaelHorowitzvanmalmsteenBucoMicky Dunne
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque

Dylan’s band used to watch Gary Potter’s DVD (Hotter than Hot) on the tour bus. Bass player Tony Garnier and fiddle player Donny Heron are big fans of. Gary and I had a jam with them backstage at Birmingham once.

Buco
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • stuologystuology New

Nice - was Dylan around backstage as well?

I think Elana James was in his band for awhile as well - another Hot Club fan.

Micky Dunne
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque

He was backstage but didn’t get to meet him, he was in his own dressing room. He walked onto stage about 10 feet away from me, he’s smalll!

Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • neebs4964neebs4964 New

I saw Rolling Thunder Revue the other night. The player was Latcho Drom from the credits, but you do realize that much of that movie was fictional, Scorsese did so on purpose. For example, the stuffy filmographer, the money guy and the entire Sharon Stone story was made up. As well, the credits listed concert dates all the way to 2018. So no telling if he was inspired by that event to write the song.

edited July 2019 Posts: 155

I don’t doubt the story is probably not true, but I thought it was interesting the fact that he used clips of actual gypsy musicians rather than maybe Johnny Depp and the fact he knows some of the history. Latcho Drom is another movie from which I think he used the clip of the pilgrimage, the musicians are definitely Dorado and Tchavolo.

Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Thanks for the heads up, I have Latcho Drom on DVD, but as a Netflix subscriber AND a fan of Dylan, Scorcese and Tchavolo I will check this out a.s.a.p.