DjangoBooks.com

Goodbye Josh | Blog

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited May 2019 in Welcome Posts: 446

I just wanted to let everyone know that Josh Hegg passed away earlier this week. As many of you know, Josh was an integral part of the North American gypsy jazz scene. A skilled technician of string instruments, Josh refined the art of setting up, modifying, and repairing Gypsy guitars. Back when I started this business in 2003, Josh was one of the only people in North America with the skill and experience to properly work on Selmer style guitars. I was fortunate to have him close by as he went on to setup hundreds of guitars for us over the years. Many of you reading this are likely to still be playing one of these guitars he setup, using one of his custom bridges, or simply following the heaps of guitar setup advice he contributed to our forum over the years.

Josh was also a fantastic guitarist and a tireless jammer. He was often seen at DjangoFest or Django in June still playing away at the crack of dawn, long after others were too tired (or intoxicated!) to carry on.

Goodbye Josh, you will be missed...
Tagged:

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

So sorry to hear this...

This is awefull to hear about...

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    edited May 2019 Posts: 465

RIP Josh. I will always have fond memories of some late night Djams in Langley.

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • oldfashionedoldfashioned New MD50B

Sorry for this loss

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman

So sorry to see this. I remember Josh from several DFNW trips back in the day. Great guy, everybody liked him. Super chill, laid back, fun person to be around and geek out on guitar stuff with. I haven't seen him in years and now I am really bummed that I won't get to catch up with him again. Time is precious. RIP Josh.

www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy

Such sad news. I remember his generosity when giving me an excellent complimentary setup at DFNW.

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia

That is sad news indeed. Josh was very generous in providing and setting up a bridge for my guitar at Django in June many years ago which greatly improve the sound. He was a great guy, will be sorely missed.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 1,252

That cannot possibly be right... Or God I hope it isn't.

?!?

If it is, then rest in peace old friend. Our last jam was unfortunately a few years ago. You & Luca & Gage & Kale & me at the campground. Wow.

You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BonesBones Moderator

Sorry to hear this. RIP

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭

Very sad..

RIP Josh