DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Jams in LA/San Gabriel?

SkizzeSkizze Covina, CANew Eastman AR605CE
in North America Posts: 3
Hello one and all!
I'm a Covina resident, looking for gypsy jazz jam opportunities!
Research on just about every other platform has yet to yield anything promising.
So here I am, in hopes of striking upon some fellow Django lovers in my neck of the woods!

Please let me know of any open jams, in the area!

Comments

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited May 2019 Posts: 140
    If you come up empty, try organizing a GJ jam by advertising a date and time and location on craigslist and on this forum (see if the search function can help you find players in your area - or possibly hit Michael up). An afternoon jam session in a public place (park, coffee house, bistro, etc.) will be more likely to draw participants than a private session in someone's home. Having a tip jar can help as well. Even a jam session with two players can be fun and can you started. Most players know at least few others and word gets around. Be welcoming to other instrumentalists (bass, clarinet, accordion, etc.). I would skip vocalists until you establish a steady group and know that others are OK.

It takes a little work and patience - but well worth the effort - especially with the nice summer weather ahead. Jams with others can be far more satisfying and offer a superior learning experience as compared to playing alone at home.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Try joining Los Angeles Gypsy jazz on Facebook. I believe there are some players in Pasadena which is not too far away from Covina of course. It will also give you an idea of who is around the LA area.
  • SkizzeSkizze Covina, CANew Eastman AR605CE
    Thanks for the insight and sound advice, pmg! I'll definitely take all of that into consideration- it didn't even initally strike me to hold a jam in public, with a tip-jar! I'll be sure to draft up a posting, once I get home!

Hey Scoredog, thanks for the tip! I've joined the group of which you've recommended, and will be keeping my eyes peeled!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Be sure to pick a busy public place where people are hanging around and not just rushing by. Many musicians are attracted to opportunities to play in front of an audience. I like coffee shops with outdoor seating the best. Django and coffee seem to go together. Be sure to check with the manager and offer to buy something if needed to get permission (although some will offer you free stuff for playing!). Find and stick with a place that works well and build a fan following by offering a chance to join a mail list, Facebook page, etc. Allow your players to offer lessons, CDs, music for hire, etc. Good luck!!!
    Skizze
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • SkizzeSkizze Covina, CANew Eastman AR605CE
    Thank you for the valuable information, sir! You've been immensely helpful and have given me the inspiration to go through with this undertaking!
    I'm excited for what the future may hold!