DjangoBooks.com

schertler/schertler vs. bigtone/aer

DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
I played a large gig last night (a 300 plus person banquet) in a grand ballroom with two guitars and bass. I use the scheetler dyn-g into the schertler unico, the other guitarist uses a big-tone into the AER compact 60. You probably know where this question is going....

His volume absolutely killed me. I'd say he was about halfway up and that AER sounded giant and clear. I had everything on the schertler cranked, gain, channel volume, and master all about 7 and I felt like my rhythm was coming through fine, and with a tone I loved, but my single note lines, heads and solos, were thin, felt overplayed to project, and the tone suffered.

My question is, what might I do to improve the situation. I did not use any pre-amp (was under the impression I would not need one with the new generation of unico amps), and I did not fuss with the placement of the dyn-g much. Can those two things make that big a difference? Am I doomed to have a more authentic tone but not enough volume for giant halls? Should I bail and get5 a bigtone installed (or a schatten etc.) for thse kind of gigs? Any ideas or shared stories?

The biggest negative to me was that I felt to be pushing so much during my solos that it was psyching me out of playing anything really well, and thats a miserable feeling. I just kept tweeking the knobs in between tunes and looking at the size of that aer compact 60 and shaking my head.

Chuck

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Chuck,

Sounds like something is amiss there...the DYN G is a very hot pick up that produces a lot of gain. I never even get the volume close to 3 and it's ear splitting. I'm wondering if you're installing the pick up incorrectly or putting it in a less then ideal spot. Usually it sounds best behind the bridge. Some people go crazy with putty, effectively muting the small magnetic coil that is picking up the sound. I'd have to see your set up to know for sure...but you definitely should be getting a lot more volume.

'm
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I too get plenty with my Basik / Stat / Unico setup. Never have to turn up past 3 or 4.
    were you using the volume pedal? It's nice to be able to turn up for lead...
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Thanks for the replies guys. I too was shocked that I was cranked.

I used minimal putty, very thin strip once rolled out, and was pretty sure I had a good 'seal'. Am I coorect in twisting into position, subtly pushing down until it feels like contact is made?

It was positioned behind the bridge, about 2 inches, and on the lower side of the moustache, just where I have seen folks put it.

I engaged the 10v of juice on the DYN channel.

Had gain, channel, and master fairley cranked, but must confess I pulled the mids way back, say 9o'clock to cut the harshness a bit, had bass about 2o'clock, and treble about the same. I had the resonance all the way up as well.

The only other thing I can think of, is that I may need to shim my bridge on my park again (I had them in, then out). It is the hot dry summer her enow, and the trebles are definitely snappy a bit, that may have lessened my output.

Your guys help is appreciated. I love the tone, its just this first gig was in such a big space that it was trial by fire.

Chuck
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    two inches back might be too far.

Just trying to think of other reasons why you had problems... Did you have your phantom power on for the pickup?

if you are using a pre was the battery old and in need of change?

did you have a bad cord in the mix?

Cheers,
    Josh
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    Thanks for taking the time to assist, I really appreciate it.

I had the 10v phantom power (only option on the dyn channel) on.

Only cable was the Dyn-G cable itself.

no pre-amp, though I do own a small pre-sonus blue tube pre-amp, but was under the impression the new schertler had all i needed built in?? Meaning no need for a pre after the dyn-g.

Finaly, should I try the dyn-g right next to the moustache, lined up with a brace??

I know I need to experiment with placement and realize it was my first run with the amp, and in a huge room at that, mostly I was just floored at how much more headroom the big-tone/AER combo had....it really was that much more.

Chuck
    Duozona wrote:
    T

Finally, should I try the dyn-g right next to the moustache, lined up with a brace??

In my experience, the closer to the bridge the better. I put the DYN-G right next to the bridge. It's basically touching it...much hotter and also drier sound.

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i actually tried to put the dyn-g on the bridge and it sounded amazing. the only problem was keeping it on there.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    crap, i hope that putting the dyn-g on the bridge doesn't mess up the pick-up. any clues anybody?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    i don't put it on the bridge...just right next it. it would be tricky to get it ON the bridge and keep it there.

'm