DjangoBooks.com

Bireli's Outside Playing

13»

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    For the Simpson sound approach the fifth of the tonic chord (over rhythm changes ) with an enclosure from a semitone below and a tone above.

If you allow the chromatic approach to sound for long enough it will sound Lydian but really it is a plain old enclosure. In C that's A and F# closing in on G. It can be useful to expand the minor third of F# and A to a diminished seventh chord (there are only three an this would be the one that contains the root and minor third CEbAF# ( yes A not Bbb because we are leaving the world of seven tones per octave behind)).

It's a great lick to play over lots of chord forms to practice targeting by enclosure. In fact you could write a load of your own licks as you play about with the idea. You wouldn't need to try and remember them but instead you would be finding your own kind of musical grammar and that would be so absorbing that you would end up with heuristics literally at your fingertips.

Or you could find a recording with someone doing that already and eventually someone else could transcribe that for you and you could download the tab to your computer and forget about it.

You wouldn't want to forget it, but forgetting is what happens when you don't have to work for answers, it's the work that makes the memory do it's job.

D.
    steffoBuco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    “...you could download the tab to your computer and forget about it...”

Ha ha... you’ve been watching me, Dave!

BucoBones
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Haha, yeah I have more tab than I could use in 10 lifetimes!