DjangoBooks.com

Bireli's Outside Playing

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Craig, you know me and theory, I'll just never get it. Those ideas just don't sink in with me for some reason. I guess I could think of playing B triad over A but my mind just won't seem to work that way. Hmmmm. I like the diminished idea though since I'm used to using diminished over dominant. So is that A diminished?
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 Posts: 867
    So as mentioned by Andy, diminished is in this case half step whole step starting on the A, 2nd note Bb, 3rd note goin up C (which Brieli does not play in that order) etc, You will find the rest of the outside notes within that 8 note scale.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Makes sense starting with the half step as you then have the major third over the major chord. Your outside notes are b9, #9, b5, b7......pretty colorful. And the same idea applied the minor key progression would start with the whole step.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Oh that's a good way to think about it for me. Thanks guys.
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    Why would you want to know the theory? if it sounds good to you just play it!
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Feruza2134 wrote: »
    Why would you want to know the theory? if it sounds good to you just play it!

That's exactly what you should do, if you can.

An other alternative is to have someone with a much better ear and experience and loads of theory tell you how to play it one lick at a time.

D.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019 Posts: 867
    The 2 main reasons as a guitarist for me (and there are many reasons if you are not going to just play guitar) is it is a good way to get an understanding where you can organize musical concepts. The 2nd and most important thing is once you’re able to organize you have a far greater ability to create original ideas instead of just playing what has come before.

Of course there are plenty of guitarists who don’t know theory who sound great but for how I like to think theory provides options I would not have found any other way.
    Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah for sure, for me the theory doesn't really sink in It's funny because I'm the opposite with chords, that just comes super easy. The soloing theory still eludes me. I love the sound of it but don't know how to organize it in my brain. Still fun to try though....that's what's cool about music is it is so limitless you never stop learning. For me I wouldn't really even have taken up soloing but with my arthritis I can't really comp chords for long periods so if I still want to play guitar gotta make the switch. It's all good.
    Whatever makes sense individually. You could safety bet your shoes that Bireli heard it somewhere and just figured musicality how to use it in his own playing.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Scoredog wrote: »
    In seriousness take a major scale and raise the 4th a half step and that is that sound.
    aka "The Simpsons" sound. Olivier Kikteff mines this all the time ..
    ScoredogBones