DjangoBooks.com

Good beginner guitar. Altamira Vs Paris Swing vs other guitars?

I am looking for a cheaper beginner guitar.I don't have a preference of D hole or Oval hole .I have heard many good things about the Altamira guitars but they have a newer beginner model that I haven't found much information on. I'm not sure if I could trust it to be of good quality. I have also considered the Paris Swing GG39 and GG42 models. I also researched into the cigano guitars but before making any decisions I was wondering if I could get some advice/anecdotes from you more expirenced guitarists. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    The M is really great. I played the cigano and gitane guitars when I was first looking. The Altamira really outperforms them. **** has a great deal on the M as well and throws in some great extras like a full setup. He also just unveiled some new budget models at NAMM. Not sure when they'll be available, but I'd shoot him an email.
    notjustpeanuts
  • TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5
    I have a gitane and a cigano, but would buy an Altamira if I could go back in time.

I haven't dealt with **** before; but Michael / Django Books lists an M with setup included for a great price and his service is exceptional.
    MichaelHorowitz
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I have both Paris swing guitar’s, and an Altamira M30. The Altamira is superior but cost more than both Paris swing combined .
    Btw The Paris swing guitars are pretty competitive with both my Gitane guitars (250m and D500)
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited February 2019 Posts: 959
    I recently sold a Gitane DG250M and immediately regretted it, well made, a fast neck and an easy action it has a nice clear tone that cuts through.
    The Altamira that I have is muddy and much quieter compared.
    It seems to have a very shallow neck angle and even with the bridge replaced by a Dupont at 18mm it seems the tailpiece is almost touching the body so I suspect the geometry just does not give enough string tension.
    Oh yes, and sloppy tuners.
    If that was the only problem I would happily replace them with a Schaller Selmer Deluxe set but I am reluctant to spend another dollar on this one.
    That will be sold on as soon as I can move it (obviously to somebody who does not read the posts here!)
    Others have said they like the Altamiras, so you take your chances.
    Either way, as always the important advice is; Try Before You Buy !
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @Brad Herman We also have the Model M in stock and it includes a full setup for free: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-model-m
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    @Brad Herman We also have the Model M in stock and it includes a full setup for free: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-model-m
    Yeah, I have often wondered if some people forget who hosts this forum............
    MichaelHorowitzJim Kaznosky
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6

Oh cool, I thought Tommy was the only one carrying the model M for some reason... Haven't looked at your stock in a while
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I see a Mod M in my future
  • dominicleewedominicleewe London, United KingdomNew Altamira Mod M
    I bought an Altamira Model M from **** and I can totally vouch for it. Compared to a Cigano, the tone of the Model M is closer to that of a traditional Selmer sound. The neck on the Model M is much thicker and feels more solid than a Cigano which makes a big difference IMO.

I've tried the Paris Swing GG39 and while it looks good, it just doesn't have the volume. My jam buddy sold his Paris Swing to get a Model M.

If you do decide to get a Model M, I suggest getting a new or modified bridge while you're at it. The stock bridge isn't that great so Tommy helped to hollow out the bridge even more and now my Model M sounds and plays great.
  • dominicleewedominicleewe London, United KingdomNew Altamira Mod M
    Getting a good setup is very important because I've tried a more expensive Altamira once but it had a poor setup so the playability and tone suffered