DjangoBooks.com

Patenotte guitars

I'm looking for some opinions here. I like to buy my 1st Selmer style guitar and since these cannot be found in my shops around town I'd need to order one.
I was looking at a Saga Gitane 255 but read some mixed reviews here and in other places. Then I found a website in Germany (that's where I live) offering Patenotte guitars from France. They have a 254 model in stock that has a very cool price for a starter. Besides that, I like the fact that I would get a handbuilt European guitar vs. a Chinese factory built.
I haven't found lots of info on these Guitars online, n one plays a Patenotte ?????

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    The 254 is a low end starter. I would hang on and get the 256 if you can. Every one of the 254 I have seen and heard about have not been that great. They are made for students and serve that purpose well. I own a 256 myself and really like it. It took a bit of work to get the action and tone/bridge set up but really worth it. The one thing you should know about the Patenotte is that it is a short scale and joins at the 14th fret. If you are used to a long scale it will take a bit getting used to. That being said the short scale is a blast to play and the string tension is very low. My 256 has a really nice vintage GJ tone. Very dry and old sounding. Also the neck on the Patenotte is great. Nice a fat but not too huge. For a first guitar the 256 is great. If you do go for the 254 make sure you find one to look at and play before you buy it.

you can hear my 256 here: viewtopic.php?t=1727

Cheers,
    Josh
    thanks for your input. My budget would not allow the 256 I'm afraid. So its either a 254 or a Saga Gitane 255 model.
    I think I could live with the shorter scale.
    What did you not like about the 254s you have played so far?
    Btw, here's the one I'm talking about
    http://www.gypsyguitar.de/shop/pat254.html
    The main thin about the 254 that I don't like is that the top is laminated. Also the frets tend to be really dodgy. On the up side you get a great feeling neck and a guitar that is fun to play. It might work well for you I would just urge you to try it out first. Also the bridge is all one piece. Not the best design. If you go with the Patenotte the tone can be improved much with a good bridge built for that instrument. I know this because I spent about a year tweaking my Patanotte with bridges made from many kind of woods until I found the one that works well. Also the design of the bridges made a huge difference with my 256.

On the 255... The neck is very slim but the construction is spot on. It has a nice, open tone and is a good learning instrument if you don't mind the thin neck and want a long scale. There are some pros that line a 255 type instrument so that says something about the playability.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • kerouackerouac Near LuxembourgNew
    Tach

I´ve buied the same one on gypsyguitar.de and I don´t regret it. I know there are much more guitars wich are better but for the start it is quite good. I hope the sound will be better when a new bridge is on it. I would give the Dupont bridges a try. And does anybody know if they are selled with moustaches?
    kerouac...formerly known as SwingOpi.
    I can build you a bridge using my Patenotte and build mustache ends to mach. Email me if you are interested and I can send pictures and pricing.

Cheers,
    Josh
    The website/shop list the Patenotte 254 with a solid top !!???
    I think I'd rather have a meatier neck than the longer scale- skinny necks tend to keep me away from guitars
    Then they changed them because they used to be laminated. Cool!

The neck is nice.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Tach,

when my guitar arrives the neck was a real shocker. The thickest neck I´ve ever played. But know, I have come so comfortable with it and agree with Josh: The neck is nice!!!

And is there a method to test the top if it is laminated or solid?

@Josh
    eMail is on the way!
    I've seen it listed on another website as having a solid top as well..who knows for sure.
    On the other hand, I have no success to contact the guy @gypsy-guitar.de
    no replies yet. Too bad, the money is burning a hole in my pocket and the only Selmacs for sale in my area are Richwoods and Arias :-(
    where did you buy yours?
    I have that Patenotte form Norman of gypsyguitar.de. Maybe he is on vacation or sick or whatever, because he one quick replier, usually.

best wishes