DjangoBooks.com

How to learn Django's 1930 style

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
I was on Soundslice just looking around and then i saw Duved Dunayevsky's course on the 1930 Django style.
And when i listend to it i just thought to my self, Oh my god! this is what i want to learn, THIS is what i love about Django. I looked at the lesson's content and saw a lot of scary things(music theory!). I hardly know any theory so my question to you guys is: What theory do i need to learn to be able to follow the course and understand everything. And how should i go about learning that 1930's style in the meantime.
I am currently a member of The Rosenberg Academy for 3 weeks now i think, i just finished Clair de Lune and it was pretty hard but i can play it smoothly now at 70% speed. This should give a pretty good idea as to where i am with my playing skills. Thanks a lot in advance!

Video 1930 sound:
Soundslice link: https://www.soundslice.com/store/1930s-django-sound/
Clair de lune:

Comments

• edited October 2018 Posts: 1,231
    Duved lays out common ideas that he found while transcribing Django from this era. While he gives some examples of licks that illustrate these ideas, it should be assumed that it is a jumping off point for you to develop your own licks using these ideas. Also, it is a good resource for those interested in learning Django solos as it may direct your ears as to how or what a lick is.

You don't need a lot of theory to watch the course but it might help to know your basic major and minor arpeggios. It is, to me, the best Django specific course out there
    Feruza2134t-bird
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    He lays out a bit of theory but it's very straightforward and easy to understand. I recommend the course.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Man, that 1930''s style blues is just wonderful.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey, I helped produce the Duved Soundslice course and transcribed everything. I'm biased, but...it is indeed an awesome course! :-)

You'll definitely benefit from knowing basic theory concepts, most notably the scale degrees in a major scale. For example, in the key of C, when Duved refers to the "minor 4 chord," that means F minor. When he refers to the "major seventh note," he means a B natural note.

Beyond that: given that every note Duved plays is transcribed with synced tab/notation as you watch the course, you can certainly get a lot out of it through rote memorization of the raw notes, though of course the intention is to teach you underlying concepts as opposed to canned licks.

Hope this helps,
    Adrian
    This is about as light as it gets regarding the music theory. As Adrian said, you need a basic knowledge of major scale and more specifically it's degrees.
    Not that it'll make you sound like 30s swing God overnight, but the concepts in Duved's course are laid out in the most practical easy to grasp way I've heard.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    What they said: terrific course and theory is neither heavy nor essential to be able to get what he is demonstrating.
  • trumbologytrumbology San FranciscoNew
    When I read the discussion topic headline, I thought someone had come to the conclusion that the Django was at his greatest in 1930, on the banjo-guitar playing for L’orchestre Alexander or something. Then I realized we are talking about the 1934-1939 era. ;)
    wim