DjangoBooks.com

New audio from Django's concert in Carnegie Hall, 1946 with Ellington

Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
edited May 2018 in Repertoire Posts: 457
New snippet of audio from the Savory Collection, I think I can understand why some contemporary accounts from this concert described Django as nervous or uninspired. Reporteldly there are three recordings from this concert and Django played five tunes one evening - so it's still too early to tell. :) Maybe one of them is from the other night, even. The concert was on both the 23rd and 24th Nov.
adrianwimBuco

Comments

• Definitely not in the groove
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018 Posts: 457
    Here's what we have so far, the Savory Collection 1935-40 is just getting ready to release, with any luck these will be included on the next set.
    wimBuco
  • Very interesting. In the snippet with Duke they seem to really have something going. In the others with the whole band not so. Maybe an off night, unfamiliar instrument?? who knows. Even the greats have them
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I've heard one clip that I think was from that concert where Django really nailed it. Very modern and sounds totally fresh even today. I can't remember what song but it was an amazing solo.
    Huh, I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but if I were to go out tonight and heard somebody play like that I'd say "damn this guy is killing it!".
    Teddy Dupontwim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Damn I wish I sounded like that off night of his! Come on, he’s money.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018 Posts: 867
    This version (the one quoted above) has been on Youtube for a while...

wim
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I just love hearing Django that I haven’t heard before ! Especially the modern Django, can’t get enough
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Well, I'd give that a standing ovation. An off night?
  • Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018 Posts: 457
    Yeah, that recording of Honeysuckle Rose is amazing, from Chicago 1½ month prior. One of his licks on "A Blues Riff" from that concert gets a rousing applause from both Duke's band and the audience, really good stuff.