DjangoBooks.com

Listening Recommendations?

morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
edited December 2017 in Classifieds Posts: 51
I'm sat in tonight listening to Les Doigts de l'homme who are one of my favorite groups and I was wondering if there are any other bands that do original music in the gypsy jazz genre. Any recommendations?
ConorF

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Gonzalo Bergara plays originals, some with a latin feel like "Como Una Flor".
    morricone
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    Thanks! I like his stuff. His last album was pretty awesome although not really swing. But previous to that they were.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Thomas Baggerman Le Weekend
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,730
    Just listened to Greg Ruby Quartet, album Look Both Ways yesterday and realized he's a first class composer in the genre.
    Playing is awesome too.

One of my most listened to new albums of 2017 was Scaramouche, You and the Night and the Music album. Some originals and some classics, a superb album all the way.

Also last year I discovered Steeve Laffont and listened to his Enamoromai album a ton. Beautiful music.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Going a bit old style I'd recommend Lollo Meiers Rosas album, some cracking originals from him on that CD.
    billyshakesConorF
    always learning
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Going a bit old style I'd recommend Lollo Meiers Rosas album, some cracking originals from him on that CD.
    The Hondarribia album he did with Andre Donni also had some good originals. I think he won a prize in a big songwriting contest for Melody for the Quecumbar.
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    No CD yet, but you should check out the band Anouman. I saw them at the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest this past September and loved their music.

bohemewarbler
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    The Hondarribia album he did with Andre Donni also had some good originals. I think he won a prize in a big songwriting contest for Melody for the Quecumbar.
    Yep, another good call.
    always learning
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check those out
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I dont know what style you are in but here is a varied list of original gypsy jazz with all kind of orientations ( toward American jazz, toward Eastern Europe, to Italy, out of nowhere, with lyrics, really modern, old school).

Angelo Debarre, Gipsy Unity, Trio tout a cordes
    Tchavolo Schmitt, Alors? Voila!
    Sebastien Giniaux, Melodie des Choses
    Daniel Givone, En Chemin
    Yorgui Loeffler, For Magnio
    Alma Sinti
    Babik Reinhardt, All Love
    Bamboula Ferret et Fapy Lafertin, Ou welto risella
    Sara French Quintett, Bolerita mia
    Latcho Drom (Christophe Lartilleux)
    Dorado Schmitt
    Amati schmitt Sony day
    Doudou Cuillerier Doudou a feu doux
    Francis Alfred Moerman
    Frank Vignola, Blues for a gypsy
    Jean Philippe Watremez Mosaique
    Romane, Ombre or Samois sur Seine or Tribulations
    Biel Ballester

There is a new band in Paris that will release a CD soon, the band is Paris Music Tales (it is Martin Gioanni from the website Guitare improvisation)

For me this is really great music but it is different from Les doigts de l homme style of compositions.
    You have a bunch of bands less known outside of France/Europe but who does the same kind of compositions.
    for example the band Palinka, (CDs Catastrophe or Gypsy Groove)
    morricone