DjangoBooks.com

WTB: My first Gypsy Jazz/Manouche guitar (JWC/Dupont Nomade/Stringphonic/Altamira)

geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
edited October 2017 in Classifieds Posts: 459
I'm looking to branch out into gypsy jazz so I would like to buy my first GJ guitar.

I'm probably looking for a used JWC, Dupont Nomade, Altamira or anything similar or even a lower end model luthier built guitar.

I know I do not have many posts on here I have lots of positive feedback on eBay, Reverb, TheGearPage, and other guitar forums under my username geese_com.

I am located in Wisconsin, USA.

Comments

• crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    Easy: get a stringphonic. They're great guitars, reasonable price. Better than Dupont.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Stringphonic looks like a great guitar except it doesn't suggest that a lot of imagination went into branding. I wonder how the resell price compares to Dupont? Dupont guitars always seem to command a high second hand price, especially here at Djangobooks. Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto, CA, a nearby music store specializing in quality acoustic guitars, recently had a couple of used Dupont guitars (including an MC-10G) with prices similar to what we see at Djangobooks. Mateos and JWC (England) offer good quality at a nice price.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 Posts: 867
    Better than a Dupont?...very subjective.
    That said I have found resales on people who bought a new Dupont and went to sell it later as a poor investment. Sometimes as poor as 60% back of the original purchase price. Rule of thumb is if you buy a new guitar make sure its one you really want as you will lose in resale. Stringphonic guitars will probably lose close to as much percentage wise but are considerably cheaper to begin with so the hit is not as bad. Good bang for the buck from what I have played.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Scoredog wrote: »
    Better than a Dupont?...very subjective.
    That said I have found resales on people who bought a new Dupont and went to sell it later as a poor investment. Sometimes as poor as 60% back of the original purchase price.

In my experience I'd say that's really unusual. Generally Dupont has the best resale value of any Gypsy guitar maker as he's the most well known and he makes standard models that everyone knows well (i.e. MD50, Nomade, etc.)

If you follow the listings at DjangoBooks, you'll notice that a mint MD50 sells for about $3800 which is almost 90% of the new price of $4350. Similarly, a mint Nomade will sell for about $1800 which is close to 90% of the new price of $2100. Of course, instruments with significant damage or wear can go for much less, but generally even those fetch a good price.

Perhaps the people you know were selling on their own, locally or through eBay. Generally peer to peer sales result in much lower prices since it's not as competitive as listing the instrument on well known guitar site and/or a lack of trust from buyers who don't personally know the seller.

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Nothing against Dupont's, I love the one you sold me but I watch with interest when certain guitars go up for sale, even here by private owners and I'm surprised how low it can go...again you deal with this more than I do but that's my personal observation.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,730
    The resale value, that's the advantage of buying a well recognized vintage brand. You front big $$$$ to acquire one but can recoup all of it if you decide to part with with it. It won't sell overnight but eventually the right buyer comes along. That's of course as long as the vintage prices hold which it probably will as long as the genre continues gaining in popularity.

To the OP there are several used guitars for sale in the classifieds section including Gitanes and Altamiras, all considered an excellent starter guitars.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    crescendo wrote: »
    Easy: get a stringphonic. They're great guitars, reasonable price. Better than Dupont.

Thanks for the info. If a used Stringphonic pops up at a good price I might just have to buy it!
  • crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
    @geese_com @MichaelHorowitz - definitely I'm being a little hyperbolic here.

There's a lot of awesome guitar options. If you're in the price-range of a "Dupont Nomade or Altamira" - then I'd consider a Stringphonic.

However, if you're looking to invest $3K+, of course I think a Dupont MD50 is a better (and more expensive) guitar. A lot of folks prefer the earlier Duponts as supposedly Maurice Dupont was more involved in the actual building earlier on.

My final piece on this:
    If you're looking <$4K, I'd consider buying used. Guitars are instruments that break in over time. And a couple of nicks don't mean 'a thang.

If your're looking >$4K, go vintage. There's nothing like an old seasoned Favino or Busato. They can have the awesome mixture of warmth and clarity. Just doesn't get better.

Not only to vintage instruments not depreciate, but they actually appreciate in value.

Incredible instrument, and an investment? :p
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Was in your boat last year. Wanted to spend under $2k. Did a ton of research and settled on a brand new JWC and couldn’t be happier. Have played a few Ciganos and Gitanes as well as an Altamira and a Holo. Obviously that runs the full spectrum of price outside of rare vintage. Clearly the Holo was on another level, but for the price my JWC is amazing. I’ve had friends play it and be blown away at how great it feels. My only wish is that it was a little louder. When playing the Holo I couldn’t believe how much sound that thing could produce. The Altamira sounded great but I didn’t like the neck at all. It was super thin and more like a shallow D than a C or U than I prefer. The JWC I ended up with was the Modele Jazz and after shipping and import tax and bank wire fees I came in right at $2k
    ConorF
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Forgot to mention the JWC price also included a super nice Hiscox hard case that I think retails for like $200-300 in the US
    ConorF