DjangoBooks.com

The Saga of the Decapitated DiMauro

AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
Just a post to share the ongoing story of my ancient DiMauro Modele Django, which had had its head stock snap clean off in an almost 90 degree break just north of the nut (this happened BEFORE I purchased it). The repair, described as stable by the person who sold me the guitar, seemed to be holding up quite well for about a year after I got it. The guitar played and sounded great, just like you'd expect from a 60 year old DiMauro.

Here it is as I received it:
IMG_3051.jpg

Then one warm, fateful day, on the way home with the guitar, I decided to stop at a going-out-of-business sale at a...wait for it... a guitar shop. I thoughtlessly (foolishly, stupidly...) believed we'd just be in there for a few minutes. Yeah right. I found out later that some glues start to let go at 140 degrees, which is easy to reach in the trunk of a car in 20 minutes or so.

Strangely enough, the next time I went to play the DiMauro, it needed to be brought up to pitch; strange because this 60-year-old stayed in tuned very well, as well as any other I have. Then the heel of my hand felt something unusual: a crack...
IMG_9765.jpg

Uh Oh. A little de-tuning was in order to relieve the tension, just in case. Now to find someone willing to fix this antique guitar with bad break already repaired (and failed) once. Who fixed it? What glue did they use? Did they straighten out the end grain and clean out any crushed wood fibers? No one wanted to touch it. "No way I could guarantee a repair like that!" said more than one luthier. But one told me "I know what to do and how to clamp it and I'm looking forward to an interesting repair - way more fun than upgrading the pickups in some mediocre electric guitar."

A couple carbon fiber rods later
IMG_9778.jpg

And it looked as good as new (or at least as good as it could):
IMG_9787.jpg

Well, sorry to say we're back to where we started.
IMG_6952.jpg

]
The luthier says he'll put a spline or two in it, so we'll see in a few days what's up. I have full confidence in him.

I'll report back as soon as I have my DiMauro home from the hospital. Keep those positive thoughts and prayers coming...
Buco

Comments

Wait, it cracked again after he put in the fiber rods?

Genius solution by the way.
    AndrewUlle
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    He used hide glue the first time; probably will go with epoxy for this attempt. The rods kept it from totally failing I think.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Dang! Certainly worth saving whatever it takes, these are great guitars and under valued compared to other Di Mauros (maybe just because the round sound hole doesn't look gypsy enough?)
    BucoAndrewUlleAndyW
    Those are sweet Chris. Especially those D holes have curvaceous lines that Maccaferries don't.

Andrew, with this guy being so innovative with his thinking, I would have no doubt that he will see it done the right way.
    I think you found a keeper.
    AndrewUlle
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • FYI if you check out glue strength studies the closest type of joint tested compared to wht you have is a scarf joint. In the case of this type of joint Titebond 3 was twice as strong as any other joint.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited October 2017 Posts: 541
    It's a very special guitar - sounds great, light as a feather, and recently signed by the Django All-Stars!

IMG_0077.jpg
    Buco
    @Jazzaferri it’s almost a butt joint.
  • Hmmm....sorry I thought it looked like more of an angle and not a smooth break. It looks like splining, dowelling or something similar for structural strength and increased glue surface is the way.

Are the two ??Plastic?? rods inserted were part of the first repair
    @Jazzaferri - those two rods are carbon fiber. This luthier has used them to stabilize other head stock repairs he has done. Unfortunately, the way this break is nearly straight through, there is very little glueing surface.

Here's a video he made of a similar repair:
  • CF inserts should do the trick. Bit of an odd break that one.