DjangoBooks.com

Death of the Gypsy Camp at Djangofest Northwest

124»

Comments

Djangofest NW has changed over the years and now there is really no place for an evening jam. Merchants need to step up and offer solutions before there is nothing more than a concert series. The musicians come from around the US and the World to play for free, many is bands that make serious money playing. If Langley is wise they will find a replacement for the Doghouse and the campground and advertise it as a place for players
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    I loved DFNW and being there for one of the very first iterations, it was a great intro to this early scene in the US. Doubly great since I lived just up the road. I know Nick Lehr was really trying to replicate the island feel of Samois.

That said, there aren't a whole lot of options up there on the Island. Not sure of the difference in cost of venue etc but just across the Cascades is a great little town called Leavenworth. It is like a German village transplanted into the mountains of Washington. They have a performing arts venue, campgrounds, lots of clubs, pubs, restaurants, bistros, etc. Almost like a funkier, European version of Northampton (DiJ). It is only ~2 hrs from Seattle and no ferry ride required so probably the travel time from the airport is about the same!

I could tell stories of cranky south Islanders threatening people with guns and wanting to be left alone, thinking you were coming after their pot stash or meth lab. Maybe DFNW has outgrown its Whidbey Island roots. Why not go someplace that caters to tourists. You'd get a heckuva lot more random foot traffic at Leavenworth from other folks just visiting. They might stop in to see the concert or would probably appreciate seeing some Djams at the local Bavaria-esque restaurants. I think it would be a killer atmosphere to host DFNW. Busking during the day?? Heck, you might just think you were in Alsace. Someone tell Nick! ;-)
    AndrewUlle
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Things have gotten a little easier at DiJ as the event has grown because that has allowed us to carve out a part of the Smith campus as our own. When we were closer to dorms in which other programs were housed we would sometimes get complaints about late-night playing.

Bottom line...unless your entire event is really isolated someplace, music-makers are at risk of being treated like noisemakers. My heart goes out to DFNW attendees whose fun was interrupted and to Nick and the other organizers who have to deal with things like this that may be beyond their control.
    ~Andrew
    adrianMichaelHorowitzlewischang88Loritmo
  • Last Saturday I went to see Kronos Quartet perform at the brand new Federal Way Performing Arts and Event Center. A very impressive auditorium and space! Looking at the facility and size of the auditorium and thinking back my attending DjangofestNW in Lanley this year, it made me imagine seeing the world's best gypsy jazz musicians play at this center. Plus, Federal Way is very close to Seatac Airport.

Just daydreaming. The name "Federal Way" doesn't really go well with "Djangofest NW". And there is no history of gypsy jazz in this town...
  • steffosteffo New
    music-makers are at risk of being treated like noisemakers.

They are, we are !
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 88
    FYI: DjangoFest NW's Facebook page announced today (May 1, 2018) that the Fairgrounds have a new manager and they are working closely with the organizers and officials to make sure all parties (including campers) are happy this year.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    pretty cool to see Adrien Moignard on the artist list this year.
    wim
  • Thats good to hear
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dm7b5dm7b5 New Orleans, LA
    How much does this fest cost? Thank You
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    the tickets can all be had individually for each concert. Thats how I tend to do it.
    I believe there are options for buying various kinds of passes, but I never have done it because I've only ever wanted to attend a few of the concerts. The campground is very inexpensive as far as sleeping arrangements.