DjangoBooks.com

John Jorgenson Quintet in Concert

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
in North America Posts: 705
The John Jorgenson Quintet is playing tonight in Santa Cruz and I am torn about attending. The Quintet is comprised of Jorgenson (acoustic guitar, bouzouki, clarinet, vocals), Jason Anick (jazz violin), John Jarvis (piano), Simon Planting (bass) and Rick Reed (percussion). I saw them a couple of years ago in Sonoma and it was a good show. Jason Anick and Simon Planting are great musicians, and I have seen them several times. I am a traditionalist when it comes to gypsy jazz, and prefer rhythm guitars and bass for the rhythm section. The program is listed as "a unique musical experience that equally enthralls the most discerning and the casual music fan. Jorgenson’s compositions flawlessly blends an authentic Gyspy Jazz style with elements from Latin, Romanian, Classical, Rock and Greek music." Personally, I would prefer watching JJ playing blazing fast runs on guitar, but not necessarily bouzouki, with somebody like Kevin Nolan or Gonzalo on rhythm guitar in lieu of his current percussionist and pianist. Do other people feel the same as I, or am I becoming eccentric in my old age? Would JJ be more successful with a traditional lineup?

Comments

• tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
    he puts on a very entertaining show. purists miss most good music, it seems to me
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    I saw him this year at DFNW, great show. I think you should go.
  • Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
    I saw him in January in Harrisonburg, Virginia. The keyboard player also plays accordion and a little rhythm guitar. I did find the percussionist a bit distracting, but the bassist (Simon Planting, I believe) and violinist Jason Annick were very good. Overall, gypsy jazz was the dominant feel throughout and I would recommend attending.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I did not attend the John Jorgenson show last night. I notice Jason Anick was playing at Stephane Wrembel's Django A Go Go this weekend. I heard JJ had bass, viola and percussion. Supposedly a sold out show, and everybody was happy.
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    No offense meant, but I would go (or would have gone)...IMHO, you shouldn't hold 'tradition' over 'supply'...

There is such a drought for live GJ music around my area that I would go see a Country/Western Swing band playing a hint of GJ...

Don't take for granted that GJ concerts come near you alot...for some of us, we are not so fortunate.
    AndrewUlle
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Yes, I realize we are pretty lucky in the San Francisco Bay area. In the past year I have attended Djangofest Mill Valley featuring Stochelo Rosenberg. I have also seen Hot Club San Francisco, Dorado Schmitt All Stars, Gonzalo Bergara Quartet, Hot Club of Baltimore and the Jimmy Grant trio. Hot Club Pacific is a nice local band here in Santa Cruz. I also saw Stephane Wrembel, although I am not sure I would call his show Gypsy Jazz, but more of a jazz fusion. On a recent trip to Mexico, I found Gypsy Jazz in 3 of the 4 areas I visited.
    Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    That's just not good enough!
    Buco
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    jon...you made my point better than I could have...
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.