DjangoBooks.com

new 'DJANGO" film

Comments

• JojoJojo London UK
    Well, two fairly reputable reviewers in the UK have given it the thumbs down. However I've never seen a Django film so will still go, regardless
    I just read some reviews and one thing they all seem to agree on is that Reda's performance and the music are great so I can't wait to see it.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    The reviews vary significantly although they are generally rather lukewarm. That is actually better than I anticipated. As expected though, the story is mostly fictitious but apparently Django is portrayed as being a bit of a drunk and there is absolutely no reason believe this was true. He had enough quirky character traits without introducing this questionable and unnecessary one.
    There's one guy that gave it thumbs up :
    https://hollywoodglee.com/2017/02/10/film-review-django-comar-2017-france/
    Problem is, after reading a few of these, I pretty much know the entire story line start to finish. Good that it's not a whodunit thing.
    wim
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 3,707
    I red the reviews too. I think I will wait til its on Netflix.

Sad in a way that they chose to go with such a oft used plot when the reality of the the story is quite interesting
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Which part exactly do you guys mean?
    He did try escaping to Switzerland in real life.
    Buco wrote: »
    Which part exactly do you guys mean?
    He did try escaping to Switzerland in real life.
    Presumably the fictitious resistance girlfriend, the ridiculous concert to distract the Germans and being a drunkard....... And, of course, the ultimate blasphemy of playing the 1947 electric guitar version of "Dark Eyes" on an acoustic guitar in 1943. :o:'( - Not to mention looking nothing like Django

ConorF
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hmmmm. Hollyweird??
    The other thing is the clarinettist we see in the clip jigging away in a slightly demented manner looks more like Lord Percy from Blackadder than he does either Hubert Rostaing or Gerard Leveque. Another devastating anomaly which undermines the whole integrity of the film is that we all know Joseph had long since given up tuning Django's guitar by 1943. ;)

I may be wrong but I sense from the reviews there is almost a morality tale/political message involved concerning the persecution of gypsies, particularly by the Nazis. Django is the last person to be used for such a purpose. He was totally apolitical. He did not suffer the level of prejudice that many gypsies suffered. The brilliance of his playing meant that although people probably maintained their underlying prejudices, they simply chose to ignore them where Django was concerned.

Django did not strive to achieve anything other than to be a great musician and composer. He always did exactly what Django wanted to do to suit Django, not to suit anybody or anything else.