DjangoBooks.com

Wanted "Begin the Beguine" lead sheet for Bb instrument

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
in Repertoire Posts: 1,854
Hi all,

If anybody has a lead sheet for "Begin the Beguine" for a Bb instrument, could you pleas PM me?

Thanks,

Will
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Will, I'm sure I have it in C somewhere but it's probably out in the workshop and it's (FINALLY) pouring rain right now. Whew, about time So Cal got some water! When it lets up I'll go look for it and shoot you a scan of it. It will be in C though if that helps at all. If not, let me know and I won't bother.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, buddy, but I've already got it in C. Trying to find it in D so my reed guy can read it in concert C...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Here is a lead sheet which I haven't played
    https://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-music/artie-shaw/begin-the-beguine#tabs:A
    let us know if that nails it.
  • ladeyladey New
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1
    I made you one. It's easy to do as I already had an mxl file in C. I assume you want it in D. Let me know if it doesn't work.
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    There is a website providing a catalog of standards with the heads written for Bb instruments and the chords for C instruments.
    Unbelievable amount of charts:

http://cjam.lassecollin.se/index.html
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, everyone! Ladey, your version was exactly what I needed, and bopster, that lead sheet website is pretty awesome.

I'm guessing from some of the responses that most of you guys don't play with horns very often and you don't know about the transpositions that these instruments require.

For example, the clarinet and trumpet are both Bb instruments. So if you had one sit in with your band to play, let's say "Nuages" in the key of G, their sheet music would need to be written out in the key of A...!

The alto and baritone saxes are Eb instruments, so their lead sheet for "Nuages" would have to be written out in the key of E natural...!

The only sax that could actually play the sheet music in the key of G and have it match up with your guitar in G would be the C-melody sax.

Trombone music doesn't have to be transposed--- except for the fact that it is written in the bass clef, which for musical illiterates like yours truly, is almost worse than transposing to a different key if you have to write out a trombone part.

Now, if you are at all like yours truly, I imagine your reaction is "WTF? This is stupid! Why don't they just read their music in the right key, like pianos, guitars, flutes and violin players do?"

The answer to that seems to be musical tradition. Sort of like the QWERTY keyboard arrangement, once these protocols are established they tend to resist change.

Somewhere along the line it was decided that the C melody sax sounds bad, but the alto and tenor saxes both sound good.

Is that really the case? Well, perception has become reality...