DjangoBooks.com

new 'DJANGO" film

Comments

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    I am looking forward to the film and would have no issues even if it were Tilda Swinton mimicking Django's solos, so the fact that it's Stochelo is even more exciting news.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited January 2017 Posts: 1,261
    scot wrote: »
    ......And in fact, these kinds of movies are nearly always terrible movies on top of being inaccurate in their (ridiculous) portrayals of people and the things they do.

I have no problem with the need to make money, That is simply the reality of life. It is the fact that these movies are usually really bad rather than the factual inaccuracies that I find most disappointing. Let's hope this is an exception.

......and I've rabbitted on long enough about having Django recordings on the soundtrack so this is my last post on the subject. Here are some of the movies/programs/documentaries etc where it was thought his rubbishy, dated, aurally substandard old recordings were actually quite adequate - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0718099/?ref_=ttsnd_snd_4

ChicagoBuco
  • edited January 2017 Posts: 4,732
    Impressive list. I don't know about all of these movies but I think his music was mostly used as a background music and sometimes deliberately old sounding.
    This is, if I'm getting it right, supposed to be the track of Django playing live in the scene.
    That I think would be tricky to pull off convincingly without it sounding out of place.
    wim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    In those kind of films it is always difficult to be surprised when passioned by the subject and errors finding will soon be our best way to watch it.
    I agree indeed with Teddy: Django's music or nothing! An imitation of Django's music recorded by Stochelo and monkeyed by Lartillieux with "two fingers onley" is a kind of second level fakery that very hardly will lead to the true spirit of Django.

Teddy Dupont
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Funny opposite thing for me. I never listened to jazz until I started hearing old jazz on the classic jazz radio shows on public broadcasting. Then I was hooked. They used to play old 78s that were reissued on vinyl back in the day before CDs.
  • Thanks for posting thatveryimpressive list @Teddy Dupont Much as I love the work of many of the new players, for me Django has a VERY special place in my heart.
    Teddy Dupont
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Still, it's pretty cool that there's a movie about Django.
    Buco
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    im not holding my breath either . name one good biopic about a musician...at best its fodder that either inspires you to listen to the REAL one or a cleverly crafted thing that is entertaining in itself but so far from reality.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Spud for the good biopics I would say Bird by Eastwood and Round Midnight by Tavernier. I think that the thought process of these movies could have been applied to Django (but it is not really the trend in biopics these days)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I was not too impressed with "Bird" but "Round Midnight" is to me the best biopic ever - not that there is much competition.
    MichaelHorowitz