DjangoBooks.com

Guitars on Birelli Vienna DVD?

ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
A veritable Feast of the Gods, to be sure. Would anyone be able to give us an idea of what make guitars people were using?

In the meantime, here's my thoughts:

Awards -

Muhammed Ali Award - Lagrene, floatin' and stingin', a true monster.
Most Old World Sound - Dorado Shmitt (that D hole!)
Effortless Clarity Award- Stochelo, fingers crawling like spiders
Best Tremolo - DeBarre beat them all here
Bright Charisma - Tchavolo, no one enjoys playing more!
Dark Charisma - Debarre, a stare like a panther
Strongest Attack - DeBarre, I'm really impressed by this guy live!
What the Hell Was That Award - Galliano's Accordion -What, all buttons??

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I think we should also add this award:

The "I did it my way" Award: Sylvan Luc, who took on the Gypsies with a nyoln string, killing fingerstyle chops, and rest stroke free flatpicking!
  • SoulShadeSoulShade NW Ohio, USANew
    Si Tu Savais and everything Galliano played on are my current favorites.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for Sylvan Luc... outstanding

Gallianos accordion I believe was a Victoria
    CBA

Chromatic Button Accordeon.. the standard in Europe as is the Piano Accoprdion here
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I don't think you could call it the standard in Europe - although the CBA is definitely the most common instrument in musette circles, I believe that the piano accordion is used more often in Eastern Europe. Place like Germany I'm not so sure about, although I know that the accordionist from the Titi Winterstein Quintett plays/played piano accordion. Ionica Minune plays piano accordion on Tchavolo Schmitt's Alors...Voila
  • ViejoVatoViejoVato New
    Lest we forget ... The Irish, brits and scots who play button accordions that have 2 rows (usually) in which the rows are tuned either a semi-tone apart (b, c) or (D, D#) or tuned in 4ths (c - f) or even have 3 rows like the cajun players ...

I have an old Hohner Club model whic has 2 rows tuned c & F with a smaller 3rd row where all the accidenrtals are located ...

The interesting to me is that if you play diatonic harmonica you can follow the same in-out patterns on these button boxes ...

Cheers.
    miller
    www.dfsw.net
    "I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way"
    my granny 'Meme' Foster circa 1998 at age 102
    Django Jerry Jam - home grown GJ & Dead Ahead pickin'
    http://www.DjangoJerryJam.com
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Cajuns play 1 row 4 stop instruments primarily in C, next Bb then D rarely A and G
    3 Row button accordions are used in Zydeco with the most common in F.Bb,Eb then GCF...
    Some do use single row, Bb and C...mostly by Creole players..

Irish box players use the B/C developed in the 50's and the C#/D which was used in the 30's and has seen a recent surge in interest
    C/C# is used by B/C players to play a half step up and D/D# is used by C#/D players for the same reason..
    the Famous Joe Cooley used D/D# and so does Mairtin O'Connnor
    There are many B/C players following in the footsteps of Paddy O'Brien
    and as to C/C# this was actually very common in Scotland and Endgland pre WWII
    C#/D is used by many players for the in and out feel of a melodeon
    and Mairtin O'Connor takes it another step farther on his CHattterbox CD
    D/C# was also used extensively but now by a few including American player Joe Derrane.
    Sharon Shannon plays them all
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Hi -

Just for the record, I think I might have meant 'vibrato' instead of tremolo, although everyone seems to know what I intended - whatever you call 'wiggling your fingers on the fretboard'.

http://www.vibroworld.com/magnatone/vibrato.html

E
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    By the way, that's "Vienne," not "Vienna." Vienne is in France (not that I'm so smart - I had to look it up).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    As for the guitars: Bireli plays a Dupont VR, Stochelo a Leo Eimers, Debarre a Signature "Angelo Debarre" Dell'Arte, Hono what is sometimes referred to as a "Sonora" . Not sure if Tchavolo is playing a Dupont but I guess so...
  • valdaevaldae new orleansNew
    Debarre gets my vote as one of the most interesting players on the DVD. That right hand of his was a blur during portions of his performance. His tone was killer!
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch