DjangoBooks.com

Good pickups for Selmer style guitars?

I recently played a gig with my guitar mic'd with an SM57 and no monitor AND the stage volume was super loud, so, in turn, I couldn't hear myself at all! I just ended up playing octaves as solos the entire time hahaha

Any recommendations? Something preferably with a quarter inch out?

Comments

• gypsystuffgypsystuff ✭✭
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    A while ago, I found myself needing a quick solution to the same problem - except I used a nice ribbon mic and it fed back so badly. With another gig coming up quickly, I purchased a k&k definity. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But it was cheap, I had it installed in about 7 minutes, it's not permanent, and I can get a lot of volume with no feedback. I plan to eventually upgrade to something that sounds truer (and will likely cost more), but for now, as I have gigs to play and not a lot of time to try out different solutions, it works great. And it's not a piezo.
  • For a mag, I like the Peche. For a contact mike, I don't mind the Ischell.
    Are you talking magnetic pickup?
    Something to send to the stage monitor?

I use the Krivo pickup, to me it has the least magnetic/most acoustic sound (run through the acoustic amp) of the ones I heard and/or tried but can have magnetic, post-war Django sounding if I run it through the tube amp and give it a nudge of gain.

Then, depending on what I want/need for the gig sometimes I use the clip on Myers mic, the Feather model.

If you count various mag/piezzo/mic/contact mic pickups people on the forum use, I think you'd probably come up with the list of 50 items easily.
    Scoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Peche is king and I'm not surprised to see it top the list. Stimer is unbalanced and the guzz is low power / fiddly with the positioning. Pro 70 is good value, pretty decent for rhythm, not great for lead and feeds back at high volumes. Bigturd shouldn't have even got a mention in any "top 10", that thing sounds just awful.
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Has anybody tried the Schatten HFN-S2 Player Pickup for Selmer / Maccaferri (passive) with a Schatten pre-amp? There doesn't seem to be much info on the forum, but they seem reasonably priced and easy to install in my Dupont, which is drilled for a 1/4" end pin jack.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016 Posts: 867
    The Peche I found extremely uneven, even after moving positions I would have a LOUD B string and a soft e...basically unusable for me...after 2 yrs I sold it, I know others like it obviously but I got a Krivo humbucker to replace it and have not looked back except for now. I also have a KK for loud situations and with correct eq works great. The bar I regularly play in is one of the loudest I have encountered, even with electric funk and rock bands I have been in, people are so loud there because the acoustics are so bad in the room they have to yell to hear themselves and of course all of this cascades as the room inevitably fills up . The combo of the KK, Krivo and AER amp always gets it done and I can get by sometimes just using one. The combination is just for a variance in tone and adding the Krivo fattens things. It turned what used to be a miserable evening into one I can usually enjoy. Again as mentioned all pickups are a compromise but this is one I can live with.

As far as mics, I have almost all the ones in the vid minus the AKG and I agree with their assessments except I use the expensive DPA over the inexpensive Audio Technica as to me sounds quite a bit better, but on a regular basis and price considered I get why they would rate the AT higher.
    Buco
  • Tried a bunch and with no apologies the K&K serves me as well as any. I like the clip on mics for natural sound, but in my experience are not flexible enough in loud settings, especially soling. I mean AT70 and DPA. Bandmate uses Ischell and it's great. When I upgrade it'll be to it.
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    jonpowl wrote: »
    Has anybody tried the Schatten HFN-S2 Player Pickup for Selmer / Maccaferri (passive) with a Schatten pre-amp? There doesn't seem to be much info on the forum, but they seem reasonably priced and easy to install in my Dupont, which is drilled for a 1/4" end pin jack.

I've got one in my altamira, I don't get why no one mentions them. I think it sounds really natural and can get quite loud without feedback. It sounds pretty good with no preamp (the passive one I'm referring to) but definitely sounds best with a preamp and I use a K&K pure preamp.
    Buco
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    Interesting and informative, as usual. Too bad the new Yves Guen pick up wasn't included. Also I'm specifically looking for advice on what works best on a D-hole guitar. I may have a troublesome model for attachning a pick up, with a high brace very close to the hole. And I'm not so fond of sticky paste. I do have an Audio Technica; I'm just waiting to get it back from a friend that I lent it to. I plan to use it to be heard together with drums, piano and trumpets etc (why do people have to play such loud instruments?). Maybe Chris and Brad's number two will have to do. ;-)