DjangoBooks.com

Gitane vs Vintage strings..

Hi dudes and dudettes!
Does anyone here have som insight about which guitar would give me the most bang for the buck? (Price equal)

Gitane Dg-300 Jorgenson model
vs
Vintage strings guitars, Moreno, 2009 mod.

Thanks!!

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    For me the Jorgenson model has more personnality than the Moreno guitar
    Soundwise?
    Whats the deal with vintage strings guitarstrings anyway? Are they old jwc guitars? Red that they were produced one place under one name, then assembled somewhere else. The guitar I'm looking at doesn't say "Moreno" on the head. Does that make any differences? :s
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Yes Vintage Strings guitars were the old JWC guitars. The guitars were built by Jeong Woo Cho (JWC) in Korea and then shipped over. A couple of years ago the Vintage Strings partnership broke up and Jeong came to live and work in England. The thinking is that earlier versions of the guitars, including the Moreno, were better guitars but I don't know how true that is. I have an early Moreno model and for me it beats the JJ model although, to be fair, I have only played two JJ models but they didn't work for me. If it was me I'd go for the Moreno/Vintage Strings but bear in mind every guitar is different and to a large extent depends on your and your playing skills.
    always learning
    Thanks for all answers!

What/when is "early" versions of the guitar?

Haven't had the chance to play many "manouche-guitars", so really don't quite know what to look for, but the Moreno is located closer, so I might try it out anyway. The price on the two instruments are the same as well..
    The Moreno says 240 btw. 2009..
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Just noticed the Moreno's numbered 240 and that's considered early.
    always learning
    always learning
  • maxmax SwedenNew
    I used to own a vintage-strings model moreno, think it was number 260-something.

IMHO the guitar was way to heavy built, Never got it to sound or feel right.
    The looks was great, quality of the build was alright, and a little step up from previous dg255, but overall, wery disapointing instrument.
    I contacted Tony, one of the co-owners and shared my disapointment and thoughts of the instrument, At the time it wasn´t a cheap guitar at 1700 Euros.
    He insisted that it would "breakup" over time, So I continued to play it for a few years, but it never got any better, and Vintage-Strings of course closed during the time.
    Sold it at a big loss, and bought a Dupont Nomade that I was wery happy with, a Much better guitar.

But, all guitars are different to one and each other, so go a head and try it, maybe you´ll like it. I probably wouldn´t offer anymore than 350 Euro for one, and rather save up another 350 and get me another Nomade..

It's interesting to hear another opinion which I think illustrates how all of these guitars can differ. IMHO the description of the Moreno being over built is the excat description I would use for the JJ model. I agree the Nomades are great, I've played a few and they all sounded great - way better than my Dupont Busato for example. Finally it turns out my Moreno is number 27 so maybe 240 isn't an early model after all and falls within that later period when - allegedly - quality wasn't as good. The Nomade doesn't look as good as the JJ but is better guitar than both - have a look at this http://www.gypsyguitar.de/guitars/maurice-dupont/11270/maurice-dupont-md-nomade-selmer
    always learning