DjangoBooks.com

Some Gypsy Jazz stuff from 'Cracking the Code'

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
in History Posts: 170
Joscho Stephan Behind the Scenes: Meeting the Magnet

Siv Lie - Django Reinhardt's Singular Influence on Gypsy Jazz

Ben Givan - The Challenge of Transcribing 200+ Django Reinhardt Solos
Bucopickitjohn

Comments

The picking hand camera on Joscho's video is fantastic.
    pickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • terrassierterrassier France
    Buco wrote: »
    The picking hand camera on Joscho's video is fantastic.

Yes really interesting - I need more angle on my pick,compared to that my pick is closer to 90deg to the strings.

Is that a big city pick hes using ?

I am alternating between big city 1.8 - dunlop 2mm gator (round side ;) )
    and the 3.5mm wegen.............it tough to decide !
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited March 2016 Posts: 170
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    To get the hang of Gypsy Picking, I found it immensely helpful to turn my picking hand out slightly so that if I look down, I can see my palm. Start out by doing this more pronounced, and then over time you will lessen the angle until you find a sweet spot that works for you. Joscho has a fairly pronounced angle, while Gonzalo has a much less angle in his picking hand. Sebastian also has less of an angle, but still a slight one.
    Somehow, I find it helps keep your rest stroke consistent.

nomadgtr
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Cool slo mo shots! I had always felt that when Joscho plays fast licks, I could hear the alternate picking. Good to see the evidence in video now

Also interesting the interview with Ben Givan. I am surprised that I have never once seen a video of the guy who did those hundreds of Django transcriptions!? Does anyone have a link to some vid of him playing?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    the best picking hand in this style, following the strict rules of michael horowitz's book, is by far Stochelo. I think Christiaan van Hemert has slow-mo vids of him on rosenberg academy...

Ben Givan does not really claim to play this style, he's a great dude and a wonderful academic who focused mainly on the notes that django played, and less on the fingerings.
    Daveyc
  • IMO what is important in literal musical transcribing is the notes, articulations and the phrasing. How you get there is less important.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,455
    That's unfortunate, because when playing in the Django style, using certain fingerings can be such a huge part of getting the right sound
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    But everybody knows Django played with two fingers so fingering should be easy to figure out

Wim Glenn wrote: »
    That's unfortunate, because when playing in the Django style, using certain fingerings can be such a huge part of getting the right sound

BillDaCostaWilliams