DjangoBooks.com

Golden Gate bridge question

Hello,

I own The Loar acoustic archtop. I was long looking for a replacement to factory bridge which i think kills a lot of sound and does poor job a transferring string tension to the top. I kinda had this idea that a one piece bridge would be the best option but struggled to find anything that is not too expensive (adding 200$ one piece bridge to a 400$ guitar was kinda not good investment) and will deliver to my address.

Can this one http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/gitane-bridge be installed to a bronze string archtop ? Or is it specifically designed to accommodate to GJ guitars ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited January 2016 Posts: 476
    Your right, a one piece bridge will transfer better. Some adjustable bridges aren't too bad, but a couple guitars I've had were transformed by a one piece. I make my own now, but the golden gate looks ok. A Dupont is shaped better for transfer but any strong and light one piece may do it.
    If, when you get your "gate' it look like a solid hunk, you might want to hollow it out to take off weight leave no less that 1/8" everywhere you hollow it. Maybe this is over kill. Light + stiff is best. DON'T change the outside shape, just carve inside if you care to. See that it fits down nicely - flat against the top of your guitar too, so that it transfers well.
    There's nothing really wrong with putting money in a inexpensive guitar if that guitar is filling a need and your using it.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Hello Jeff,

Thanks for input. I do have one more question. What does bridge size represent ? There are 3 choices i can make, 17, 19 and 21 mm. Is it height ?
  • What is very important in archtops is to ensure that the bridge fits the top.

This is achieved by sandi g in the bridge. A piece of fine sandpaper is taped in the bridge location and the bridge is carefully moved back and forth NOT side to side over a very short distance.

I did the 2 piece bridge on my old Kay Archtop and it made a huge difference to the sound. If properly done there should be no gaps not even paper thin ones. Should look like it grew out of the top.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    edited January 2016 Posts: 476
    Measure the height of your current bridge and buy the bridge that is slightly taller.
    Jazzaferri is right. No matter what you gotta fit the bridge to the curve of the top. Your new bridge has to be a little taller than the current bridge for this reason. Not only are you getting it to conform to the top of the guitar, but also making it the height you want at the same time. Use the old bridge. If some strings are low and others high currently, you can account for this and modify the new bridge accordingly. It's tricky but duable if your handy, take your time and visualize the end result before you start.
    I'm not a luthier, but getting a guitar to play well is one aspect of guitar building that I see no way to avoid unless you can pay a technician. Make some coffee and get started.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
    Hey guys, thanks for help, got some really useful info now on how to fit the bridge to the top, i actually imagined it's a way heavier task to do than it really is. You are right i should start with my old bridge to get the feel on how to do it right.

If bridge height appears to be sufficient, i might even get a Dupont, since it's already hollowed out.

Thank you very much gentlemen.
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @TheColonel

Love to hear how this turns out for you...

Please update your results with some pictures and sound description.

:)>-
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Me too. I've got an LH 600 and I was thinking of doing the same thing. Please post some detailed observations.