DjangoBooks.com

Teaser - "The ultimate Gypsy Jazz guitar companion" is coming.

anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 561
To be unveiled at Django in June, 2015 - See you there

Anthony Parker

Comments

• anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    Teaser #2 - This a book, yes a BOOK (not another online video where you're staring at a computer screen yet again)... It's for beginning and intermediate gypsy Jazz guitar students to help teach themselves, AND a great (you be the judge) curriculum for advanced players who teach.
    For teachers - No more writing out grilles, arpeggios, harmonic minor scales, encosure tones, etc... AND if a song/lick/arpeggio/scale you want to teach isn't in the book, there are BLANK tabs/grilles/box diagrams in each section to add your own curriculum. For students, on the blank music pages of each section, you can write new stuff you've picked up at django in june, or any other lessons you received.
    Teaser #3 - I know what you're thinking - Why the hell another book? I've got 6 on my shelve and I rarely use them.

Well, so do I, and over time I found I rarely used them because they were all missing some important element that rendered their information much less useful. Either they had a bunch of great licks and phrases, but lacked good explanations and/or techniques for how to apply them to my playing, OR they did have some of that information, but the info is presented badly, with far too much information on each page, overwhelming the reader. This is why I wrote this book (obviously I didn't do it for the money!).

The ultimate gypsy jazz guitar companion will help you apply the phrases and licks you've learned from all your other books, as well as provide you with some good ones to try. I've included a detailed practice plan to help demystify the "What do I practice ?" question, and the layout of the book is aesthetically pleasing with only a limited amounted of info presented on each page as not to overwhelm the reader.

Oh, and FOR TEACHERS - Using my expertise as a full time guitar teacher for over a decade, I've included tips for structuring your lessons which will greatly improve your students results, and make your lessons easier to prepare for. And to reiterate - There are blank grilles/tab/etc so you can write extra lessons in for your students.

Cheers!

Anthony

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @anthon_74

I would think that a teaser would be a PREVIEW OF SOME OF THE BOOK.
    And to reiterate - There are blank grilles/tab/etc so you can write extra lessons in for your students

Not so sure blank pages are such a great selling point, I've had blank pages ever since Google.

Show us your stuff...
    If you want to have one book that you carry around with you it can be helpful if it has a bunch of various blank pages in it in addition to lessons. As a guitar teacher I can tell you it is vital for your students to have blank tabs, blank chord boxes, etc, and to have it all in one book along with tons of lessons as well (so I do't have to write them out) can be invaluable.
    I also personally have a binder with grilles, lead sheets, etc, but it's already bulky and heavy without adding extra blank grille pages. This way I can have my grilles plus blanks along with a library of licks/phrases, and any new lick I want to write down on I have blanks for them as well (I forget licks I've learned all the time. drives me crazy).

As far as teaser PAGES... good point, but I don't know how to post pdf files, and I don't want to take an ugly photo of one of them.

Anthony
    pickitjohn
    Okay here's a real teaser... A very basic teaser that is.
    what the heck here's another one.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey, some constructive criticism here -- if it's not too late, I highly recommend changing the font for the grilles and other text. That one is pretty hard to read, especially at a glance.
    lodge
    Hey Adrien
    Thanks for taking a look... Crap.

I was worried about that. It will be a bit of a pain, but it's not too late.

Hey, I just posted another PDF with some TAB. Are the numbers hard to read as well in this font ?

Thanks Adrien !

Anthony
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Hey Anthony -- yeah, that one is hard to read as well. :-/ In general, simple fonts are better. Fonts that looks like handwriting or calligraphy certainly have their place, but I'd avoid them for anything that needs to be quickly readable and understandable.

Also, for those fret diagrams, I'd increase the size of the fret locators ("8th fret"), as they're quite tiny!

Hope this helps -
    Adrian
    lodge
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    be careful w typos! f is next to the d key on the computer keyboard but Dm7 is not the same as Fm7 ... and dont forget the minus symbols for minor :)

re: daphne