DjangoBooks.com

the world's thinnest magnetic pickups with free XLR

Comments

• surdopickupssurdopickups Galatina - (LECCE) - ITALIA
    edited April 2015 Posts: 39
    The ultra-flat is a magnetic pickup for acoustic guitar - Resonator Guitar - guitar monouche, cigar box guitar.
    The pickup has a height of only 2.7 mm (0.10 inch), is suitable for all guitars, and is suitable for all types of music, jazz, gypsy jazz, country music, ecc.eccc folk.
    It is a single coil, with neodymium magnets, and is the world's thinnest pickup.
    XLR male connection
    The pickup is attached to the body of the guitar through the system magneticche original clip, which allows easy positioning in guitars oval hole, without having to loosen the strings, without the use of screws, glues or other, and above all without damaging the guitar.
    Answer extremely balanced sound on all registers, excellent dynamics, very natural sound.
    surdopickups.blogspot.it/
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Very Cool

Where can I get one and how much?
    surdopickups
    you have any sound samples?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    Very Cool

Where can I get one and how much?

for now you can order directly from the manufacturer,

[email protected]
    surdopickups.blogspot.it/

these are a few pieces sold per year as occasional sale
    cost of EUR 80 pickups
    15 + shipping with mail trail
    Total price € 95
    construction time 3 days, and tested properly,
    the pickups is sold as a used item
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited April 2015 Posts: 795
    Just received one of these from Antonio, like ten minutes ago. Will hook it up later this evening and report back. Visually it is a nice piece of work, very thin, very light.
    pickitjohn
    edited April 2015 Posts: 795
    Fired the Surdo up this morning. It sounds good, like a single coil should. About the same as most other single coils but it is indeed very thin and very light. I found that the alignment of the pickup vertically relative to the strings has to played with to find the sweet spot. Once found though, it is easy to position it there every time. I was using it with fluorescent lights immediately overhead and had some 60 cycle hum, but not too bad, better than most, would not be a problem at at gig.

Antonio balances the pickup for Argentines upon request and I did. The balance is not perfect, the B string is hotter than the others, but no worse than other single coils designed for Argentines I've used. If you can't lick um, join um, I've actually gotten so I like the hot B string. Again this pickup is as good as any other in this regard.

The magnetic mounting system is interesting and easy to use, but does not hold the pickup super secure. I had the pickup fall off a couple times at first, but this got better as I worked with it. Pulled it off once when I lightly stepped on the cord. The magnetic mount also puts the pickup right on the top where it picks up fingers brushing the top and pick noise. It is actually too thin for the guitar I tried it on and think it would have more gain moved up closer to the strings with spacers, but that would make the mag mount inop, at least without some modification. Putty will do the job or a clip and putty combo. Jim Schaller of Swing Guitars in NC, who turned me on the Surdo, uses the clip of bent, padded sheet metal superglued to the underside of the pickup to secure the pickup to the bottom edge of the sound hole and putty for the upper end. Spacers can be built into this easily enough.

Not sure if the XLR plug is the right thing here in that it precludes using most foot pedals and volume controls which I like with a mag pickup, but I'm guessing it helps keep the noise down with the single coil. I can use an adaptor of course, but this might negate the advantage of the the XLR, will see. (I don't know much about the electronic side of guitars).

Can't say much about volume and feedback yet. Seems like it will be okay in both departments, but will report further after I get a chance to play with mounting and gig it.

All in all, seems like a very good pickup for $90 delivered. Good sound, clean look and light weight. It is THE answer for those with insufficient clearance for the other mag pickups out there. Mine measures 3.1mm, nothing else comes close to being that thin.

Antonio is very pleasant, professional and attentive to deal with. Took less than three weeks from the order to delivery (from Italy).
    surdopickups
    Very cool, thank you Craig.
    What did you plug into with the xlr?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    My AI Corus amp.
    Thank You , Craig Bumgarner.