DjangoBooks.com

Tony Ballog

Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
in Violin Posts: 287
Can anyone recommend recordings by this artist? I was absolutely knocked out by his playing on Petite Fleur on the Swing Gitan CD "Sweet Home" (Alfonso's guitar playing is killer too) but can't find much else in the way of recordings. I believe he is the violinist here:

Comments

• YouTube search of Tony Ballog will yield a host of stuff.

Tony passed around a year ago unfortunately. He was a great guy on top of being a great musician
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator

Sadly, Tony is no longer with us. But Alfonso will likely know the names of some of Tony's recordings with Swing Gitane and others. http://www.swinggitan.com
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    edited February 2015 Posts: 465
    Tony lived his final years in the Bay area and I got to gig with him quite a few times. He was a great violinist. Cancer robbed us of his talents far too soon

. Here is a video of him playing with Hot Club Pacific at a winery gig in 2012. Ned Boynton is playing lead on his Shelley Park Montmartre, Nat Johnson is on Bass, Tony on violin and I am playing rhythm guitar on my Dupont MD-20. Enjoy..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2Xv5IXFMa_c
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
    So sad that Tony is not around any more. I almost wish I didn't see this last video.
    Some the best live music ever was when Tony and Steve Gibons would play violin duets at the Green Mill and duel in the Hungarian style. They had so much fun doing that, would send audiences into frenzy.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I had the privilege of playing with Tony many times in Alfonso Ponticelli's band. He was amazing.

I don't know of any recordings he made other than "Sweet Home," but here's a video I just found that appears to be a retrospective:

Buco
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Thanks for the input folks. I'll explore his playing on youtube some more (the entire Swing Gitan concert that I posted a vid from, above, is on there), and have to keep my ears open for any recordings that materialize...
    Just found out the other day that Tony Balog played on Koran Agan's album "Songs from a tiny room":
    http://www.koranagan.com/Sit_1./Songs_From_A_Tiny_Room.html
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Thanks! Some very nice playing on there.....