DjangoBooks.com

Bass lines for common gypsy jazz tunes

2»

Comments

• AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    > uploading to webserver

Ah, well, for that you usually have to pay money for space on someone's hard drive. That hard drive is connected to software that "listens" for incoming internet requests for data (like my notation images), and then the software sends it over the internet to your web browser.

That whole request-return process starts when you load one of these pages with my notation on it. Michael's web page sends a request to a webserver where the images reside, and that webserver sends 'em to your browser.

If you don't want to pay, you can probably sign up for free space somewhere.

Hope this helps,
    Ando
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thank you I´ll let you know if it works out
  • TomBassTomBass New
    Hi Ando,

I am very interested in learning bass lines regarding gypsy jazz and their common songs like Minor Swing, etc.
    But most of the images above of the music sheets have broken links, can you fix them or provide me them in another way?

Thanks a lot.
  • ilGiuvailGiuva
    Hello Guys!!!

Yes I agree with the previous post, I would like so much some music sheet to start playing some gipsy jazz, I was so happy finding this post, but I can not see the sheets, if someone has them, I will appreciate a lot B)
  • JasonSJasonS New
    edited October 2014 Posts: 46
    When walking I don't necessarily approach gypsy changes any differently than I'd approach a 'regular' jazz tune. I suppose I do tend to play a little flatter (not in pitch) if that makes sense. But harmonically, I'm thinking of the same things I'd think of when playing swing with a pianist and drummer.

I wouldn't necessarily approach the bass in terms of learning gypsy bass lines. Transcription is obviously important but I think you'd be better served taking a few lessons from a bassist and getting the fundamentals of how to approach chord changes on the bass.
  • ilGiuvailGiuva
    thank you for the advice, Jason
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Hi, a good way to start learning is just transcribing. I've found Denis changs playbacks great for this because you can isolate and really hear the bass clearly. On the slow playbacks (100/150 bpm) there are straight forward lines and on the faster ones (180 upwards) its starts simple and then goes into walking.
    Its the best way to learn i think.
  • JasonSJasonS New
    edited October 2014 Posts: 46
    Spud you bring up a good point. In gypsy swing tunes, as a bassist, your playing will normally consist of a 2 feel and walking. Everyone plays differently but the most basic thing to do would be a 2 feel on the head and then walk on the solos.

If you're new I would first start with establishing a good 2 feel. Once you're comfortable with the rhythm you can start thinking about the notes a little more. Let's look at the first four bars of All Of Me:

||C6 |C6 |E7 |E7 ||

Pretty simple right? So if you're playing a 2 feel you'll be playing on the downbeats (1 & 3). Generally, you'll place the root on the 1 and the fifth on the 3. So it would look like this: (hopefully this formats correctly)

||C / G / | C / G / | E / B / | E / B / ||

As a bassist, our job is to keep the rhythm but we also need to outline the changes. Just as a soloist will outline the changes, we too can help the other players anticipate a chord change by using passing tones. The change to point out here would be going from C to E7.

Two simple ways to do it using quarter notes starting on the downbeat of the measure preceding the new chord.

C C# D D# E (walking up from the low C on A string to the E on D string)

C G F# F E (walking down from the low C to the open low E)

Hopefully this makes sense. Sorry for the tab, it would be much easier to write out the music or do audio :p
  • Depending on the melody one could also in the above example go from the second G up to a B x x x E, E8vb using any OD c, c# d d# depending on melodic and harmonic context.

In our GJ quartet sometimes I will get very basic on the rhythm and the violin lead and bass will play off each other's ideas. Really cool when they get on the same page, almost gets contrapuntal.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed