DjangoBooks.com

Does anyone use Elixir B, E strings?

T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
I was thinking of putting the elixir B and E strings on my Furch because the argentines with my current time spent daily on guitar die within less than a week. Well I cant sonically care, because it still sounds great if I hit it properly with my right hand but the increased friction makes the unwound strings cut through my fingers and makes them sore. Has anyone tried it? I was thinking there cant be that big difference in the unwound e and b. What do you think?

Tim

Comments

Try some silk and steel strings, even unwound ones are easier on the fingers.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • T1mothyT1mothy ✭✭ Furch petite bouche
    they are easy on fingers when new. But as they corrode the friction raises and they make my fingers sore. Thats why I mentioned the Elixirs, as they always survived my body chemistry on my flat top for ages.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 867
    the top strings are steel I believe on GJ guitars so I don't see why it would not work. When I break an E string I just grab a regular E acoustic and all is well. I also use Elixir's on my regular acoustics (and electric Elixirs on my electrics).
    As Scoredog said, I don't see why not. Thought I think there's a GJ silk and steel brand of coated strings. Maybe get in touch with Michel H and ask him.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndyPAndyP New

I use Elixirs for the plain strings.

They last forever!

• Hmm it’s always interesting how everyone ends up with different experiences on these things. I’ve switched to Galli silk and steel and the only thing I liked more about the argies was the b and e. Which as was mentioned shouldn’t really matter as it’s just unwound steel.

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Here's another possibility -- cryogenically frozen strings -- you can get them as looped banjo plain steel strings or guitar strings. Some people say they sound better and last very long. I don't think there are any made from silver-plated copper wound strings, though (maybe Savarez should try making them, or GHS, which makes cryogenic strings).

• AndyPAndyP New

Im using D’addario for the four wound ones