DjangoBooks.com

Robin & Kevin Nolan's "Gypsy Rhythm Domination" course

elropoelropo tampa bay, florida✭✭ Gitane D500 modified
Any reviews so far, positive or negative?
thanks,
ron

Comments

• Paulius VolkovasPaulius Volkovas ✭✭✭
    I bought the course also. Generally i agree to what Stuart said. A lot of rambling on the videos and not much deep constructive info. There are some good stuff, but i was a bit disappointed.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 867
    I can say that I did not learn a single new chord...but...sometimes it's about what's not there. In Michael's books there are chords I'll never use and never wish to see again, that's not saying I don't like Michaels book I very much do as it is an exhaustive research, but here it's the simple meat and potatoes. As a soloist and talking with soloists who have been doing this longer than I have, most have the same opinion, we want the rhythm simple so we can imply the change of harmonies. A busy rhythm player gets in the way and this course shows you what what one of the most sought after rhythm players uses...simplicity and the course delivers that very clearly and succinctly . Throw in Robins extras and I believe the course is worth it, but that really depends on whether this straps you financially in any way. If you know you are already a reasonably strong rhythm player I'd probably pass, if you are not sure, you get a good yardstick for measuring and if you know you are lacking then I highly recommend it.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 3,707
    A busy soloist gets in the way too....ROFL.....let the song lead the way....get your ego out of the equation.

Where is it writ that only the soloist can know :laugh:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    I also mostly agree with @stuart . I aslo tried it out and it wasn't for me. I was credited immediately. There's really no risk in trying.

Keep in mind I did not watch everything...

I think the price overall is a good deal. You also get the Fast Track course. It outlines 5 or so songs in detail giving a beginner a good base. If you ordered via the DC music website, you also get free online lessons from Denis. Robin and Kevin were also doing 4 live webinar sesssions.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 Posts: 867
    as a note you need to order through Denis's site to get the DC material. Another note the course may be currently closed.
  • renzokrenzok Perú✭✭ Geronimo Mateos Audrey
    I also bought the course through Denis's site and was given 3 of his lessons for free.
    I've seen like 10-15 videos of GRD so far and I have to admit that for the moment @stuart is right, it's a shame they not include different camera angles and yes, sometimes they can ramble a bit but there's tons of useful information on the videos.
    Plus they recently added two new sections (25 more videos!) so I'll have to check that.
    Denis chang lessons are great! so far I've only seen GJ rhythm vol 1 and like 5 videos of the technique lesson, I highly recommend this, still have to check Gj Rhythm Vol2.

Overall, i'm very happy with my purchase, the Nolan brothers cover a lot of ground and seem to be updating the course, we also have four upcoming webinars..
    Denis lessons are great, more deeper and detailed and yes, with a camera angle for the right hand !
    The question is whether you will have enough time to really study all of this, and that's not counting fastracks ...

• pkelschpkelsch
    Are you guys still able to access the content online? I subscribed on Sept 12 and received a user/pass for Gypsy Jazz Fast Track but not one for Rhythm Domination. Something I'm missing?
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭
    pkelsch wrote: »
    Are you guys still able to access the content online? I subscribed on Sept 12 and received a user/pass for Gypsy Jazz Fast Track but not one for Rhythm Domination. Something I'm missing?

You should contact them directly.

• renzokrenzok Perú✭✭ Geronimo Mateos Audrey
    of course @pkelsch, I got access right away, you should contact them ASAP
  • jazzygtrjazzygtr Stillwater, MN✭✭ Gibson J-35
    edited October 2014 Posts: 80
    I must say that I'm actually really enjoying the Fast Track portion for rhythm. I know that rhythm is not the focus with Fast Track, but I really have been getting a lot out of what Kevin is playing behind Robin on this course.

That's what is missing right now for me in the Rhythm Domination... Actual playing songs... There are a few short examples, but I have been really getting a lot out of what Kevin is doing in both the videos and backing tracks from the Fast Track series.

And I think my favorite part of Rhythm Domination is Kevin's explanation and examples of the different styles and/or grooves. Makes me want to take a single tune and try it with many different styles to see what they sound like.

Those are just a few of my observations.