DjangoBooks.com

Martin or d'addario silk and steels ?

harry65harry65 Sunny south Florida Georg Gose
Forgive my ignorance , I'm a long time player but pretty much new to the world of the manouche guitar , currently using Argentine 11's on my George Gose 2003 petite Bouche model and I dig the sound but I'm looking for something just slightly warmer, just wondering if a "non-Gypsy" silk and steel would be a little warmer and different , thanks a million in advance , Harry :blush:

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    For a really warm tone I'd suggest these: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/djangojazz-vintage-silk-and-steel

Made to the specs of Dutch Gypsies who tend to prefer silk and steel strings.
    I tried Martin silk and steel once and they were very good just not as good as my preferred LaBella. Certainly a good option considering the price. Actually I'm about to put on another set of Martin silk and phosphor bronze that I got for my dreadnought 'cause I didn't order LaBellas in time.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • harry65harry65 Sunny south Florida Georg Gose
    Gracias amigos B-)
  • harry65harry65 Sunny south Florida Georg Gose
    What happened is I'm going to the studio this week to record a solo album of all acoustic music , some gypsy jazz, some bluegrass, some nouveau flamenco/rumba and I borrowed a friends nylon string and been playing the nylon and just getting into those warm warm Sounds and I know the Gypsy will never quite get to that place and I really don't want it to , I love the way it sounds but just adding a tiny bit o warmth is all I'm after............... B-)
    I ended up liking those Martin's silk and phosphor bronze but they're definitely a touch brighter than your average silk and steel.
    harry65
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    @Buco

Did you mean you liked the Martin FX130 Martin's silk and phosphor bronze on you Ivanovski or your dreadnought.

pick on

pickitjohn :peace:
    pickitjohn wrote: »
    @Buco

Did you mean you liked the Martin FX130 Martin's silk and phosphor bronzeof nring on you Ivanovski or your dreadnought.

pick on

On Ivanovski.
    I got them for Martin but ran out of LaBella and wanted a strings change so I figured I'd try them. I'm so glad I did. I thought it couldn't be that much different from other Martin silk and steel, that you recommended, (which were nice but I preferred LaBella by a long shot) but they're very different.
    As a matter a fact, I'm switching to these (FX130) for the time being for their sound and the price.
    They have a really nice mix of bright and warm. Guitar sounds with a completely different timbre, they sort of bring out and accentuate different frequencies than any other strings I tried from my memory. Also they're never harsh, which is why I started my strings quest, as you know.
    Lastly, the tension feels more like 10s on the regular gypsy steel strings.
    Nice find, I really recommend anyone to try these strings, especially the people that use silk and steel to begin with.

Buco
    harry65
  • pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Thanks @Buco

I ordered some today, be nice to see what they do on some of my guitars.
    I'll be reporting back after they arrive and get played.

pick on

Buco
    I picked up the Martin FX130 Martin's silk and phosphor bronze for about $5.75 a set with free delivery.

Worked great, and will see how long I like them on my Patenotte 260 and my 2007 Altamira M01D.

They were only on my 2006 Dell Arte D hole Hommage for one day and had to go back to Salverez 11's. I don't think they had enough pressure to drive the top.

Definitely worth trying at that price. Hope this helps someone else.

pick on

pickitjohn