DjangoBooks.com

About to buy an audio technica pro 70, open to last minute advice

2»

Comments

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited June 2014 Posts: 513
    Myer's pickup is a very small cardioid condenser mic with a gooseneck. It has a 1/4" out, and needs a preamp for tweeking the sound a little (as well as the occasional issues with feedback). It comes with several mounting possibilities: suction cup, double sided tape. I use a velcro like solution which is great for me.
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    I could never make the AT work with the clip supplied for mounting in the soundhole. There was always too much resonance from the vibration of the top, no matter where I placed it. To get rid of the resonance I had to cut a lot of mids, which in turn ruined the whole sound. The AT became much more managable when I used a AT-unimount clip and attatched it to the strings behind the bridge. I have since switched to a DPA 4099 which is much more Hi-Fi sounding and with the included mounting clip can be placed at the sweet spot where the neck joins the body. Alas, it is also much more expensive...
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    @Frank Wekenmann - interesting. Might be what I'm looking for too. Could you do us a screengrab so I can be sure what exactly you had in mind?

Thanks, Alex (swing68)
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    Alex, do you mean the Unimount? This is how it looked when I was using it
  • swing68swing68 Poznan, Poland✭✭✭ Manouche Modele Orchestre, JWC Catania Swing
    Great - thanks!
    The war on Am7 and Cmaj7 begins here ...
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    AT does the job: I've used it for a long time with the sound hole clip, inside or outside, and although a bit boomy it works well. For a while I've switched to the velcro bridge strap that I really like. I sounds like your guitar, nothing less, nothing more.
    - JG
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    DPA
    Save up for a DPA
    Thats the mic you want.
    The best choice for PA use.
    Universally adopted by many sound companies.
    Excellent sound.
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    At pro 70 mic is a great mic for the value. I use mostly DPA 4099 but if you have to play really close to pa or in front of the pa the DPA doesn't work but Pro70 works inside the guitar. So if you play mainly small clubs with lot of volume then get Pro70 but if you play bigger venues the DPA!
  • anthon_74anthon_74 Marin county, CA✭✭✭✭ Alta Mira M 01
    We're mostly playing smaller venues where we're very close to our PA, so I went ahead and ordered the AT pro 70. When my band takes that next step, I will consider the DPA.

thanks all !
    pickitjohnMichaelHorowitz
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    Pro 70 is always in my case as a backup!