DjangoBooks.com

Saga Gitane DG-250M

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
I just came across this guitar, and I must say it is excellent, quality, sound, playability wise. It compares and even exceeds guitars I have that cost more than twice as much (we all know how prices can be with these manouche guitars)
If I knew this guitar was this good I could of saved a couple of Gs on higher models..
I highly recommend the Gitane DG-250M

Comments

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    I would probably sell my high end one before the 250M. Besides the 6x price difference, slimmer neck, and slight sound differences (250M seems louder though), quality wise there of equal comparison.
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I had one for a day, but it arrived with two substantial cracks on the top and had to be returned to the shop. I have a DG 250 now, and while not as nice visually, it does sound and play well.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    This was my first gypsy-jazz guitar, and I still have it. It plays really well, though the sound is quite "muddy." I'd definitely recommend it as a starter.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    edited May 2014 Posts: 763
    I think exactly the same, about the 250M. If you are into GJ and find a good one, you simply got to have it. @JSANTA I bet the cracks on the top were following the line of the fingerboard, am I right? That happens a lot with the 250M model (mine also has them ) while doesn't happen a lot with other Gitanes. Maybe that's why the 250M sound much better than a lot of other Gitanes' models around! :-)
    frater wrote: »
    I think exactly the same, about the 250M. If you are into GJ and find a good one, you simply got to have it. @JSANTA I bet the cracks on the top were following the line of the fingerboard, am I right? That happens a lot with the 250M model (mine also has them ) while doesn't happen a lot with other Gitanes. Maybe that's why the 250M sound much better than a lot of other Gitanes' models around! :-)

Absolutely correct! I bought it used from Guitar Center, and luckily the chain had the 250 available at the same time, and I was able to snag that. Actually came with a fantastic case and was cheaper than the 250M. I'm saving for an Altamira right now :)
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    DON'T GET THE Altamira they're POS. You can search my write up here about my experience with that brand. Those are like toys chiseled in high school woodshop class !
    edited May 2014 Posts: 262
    DragonPL wrote: »
    DON'T GET THE Altamira they're POS. You can search my write up here about my experience with that brand. Those are like toys chiseled in high school woodshop class !

I have read your review, and I'm still confident that Michael will provide a good guitar and if something is not right, will make it so.

That being said, I've played shoddy Gibson's, Fender's, and even a couple of dud Eastman's, but I wouldn't say that any of those brands aren't good.
    Well it's up to you than, however the ordered "setup" done here was one of the things that made it worst!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    adrian wrote: »
    This was my first gypsy-jazz guitar, and I still have it. It plays really well, though the sound is quite "muddy." I'd definitely recommend it as a starter.

This was exactly my situation. First gypsy guitar and it was suitable till I realized it was ringy and I needed a better instrument to get the ring out. I sold mine and do not miss it, but as a starter it is a good choice.
    adrian
    I think ringing buzzing etc. could be fixed with some minor adjustments. Sometimes those are present on recordings made by world class players. These guitars like flamenco ones are made and sometimes intented that way.