DjangoBooks.com

Tone Knob: Valuable or not?

MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 131
Craig is going to redo the janky electronics on my '51 Triumph. I was thinking of opting for both volume and tone controls. Do you guys use/value the tone knob on your archtops? I've been playing only GJ guitars for so long I have no frame of reference.

I'll be playing straight ahead and swing. Just off the top of my head I could imagine backing the tone off when I want to play more of a la chope rhythm.

Comments

• pickitjohnpickitjohn South Texas Corpus, San Antonio, AustinVirtuoso Patenotte 260
    Tchavolo uses his at 1:57

pickitjohn
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 4,734
    Being able to color the tone is always nice.
    You might play solo and roll off the tone knob to darken the sound but you might play with a loud band and go for brighter sound so you can cut through the rest of the instruments better.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    For sure it's valuable. If you're getting electronics installed I would add both volume and tone.
  • MattHenryMattHenry Washington, DC✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughts, gentlemen. I'll be taking this advice. =)
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    I always have a tone control installed when I buy an archtop with a floating pickup. I really have difficulty using a guitar without one. People say you can dial in the ideal tone with the eq controls on your amp, but for some reason it never seems to sound right to me unless I can roll of the highs on the guitar itself.
    Keith
    pickitjohn
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    I agree with you 100% Keith. The tone knob really lets me take the acoustic tone I hear when practicing without an amplifier to be expressed when I do use an amplifier. My amp is a dedicated for jazz guitar, but the tone knob on the guitar really helps.
  • Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops
    47bd40b86cbe1120015215fc5f1fa04b.jpg
    MattHenry
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    And don't forget the little roller wheel sets that fit under the pick guard and are darn near invisible and don't get in your way like knobs do.
    Any competent repair guy should have access to those. They come in 500 and 250k and mount to the under side of the guard . Go there. Can be ordered from Mouser for like a buck a piece.
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    Keith,
    That's a pretty Campellone Deluxe!
    Thanks MarkA. It's actually a Campellone Special.
    Keith